28 December 2005

And the Dish Ran Away with the Spoon

I received dishes and silverware for Christmas. No, it's not glamorous or romantic and no, I'm not a newlywed. I'm not even much of a cook. But I am slowly becoming a grown-up. *shudder*

My parents gave me the dishes. I had requested "grown-up" dishes, which simply means "not plastic and from the early 1990's" Plastic dishes, yes, as my husband has an aversion to glass dishes. Although he can mysteriously tolerate them at restaurants and other people's houses. Hmmm. A mystery.

Since moving into the Malibu Barbie Dream House, I've found the need to have grown-up dishes.
I have chosen a stoneware-type of dishes, with a hunter green trim. It matches the new house, thank you very much, I feel very mature.
It makes me strangely happy while using my new dishes. I'm not sure why but it does. And now I've been keeping an eye out at second-hand shops for matching...or not quite matching...dishes. (so very Oprah!) It's a fun little treasure hunt!

My husband gave me a grown-up, 81-piece silverware set, complete with steak knives. I find it a little odd that we didn't have steak knives in the first place, but then we don't eat steak so I guess the math works out.
Part of his motivation is that the Malibu Barbie Dream House came with a dishwasher, which we didn't have before. (it seemed frivolous to me as there are only the two of us. Well, and the dog and she rarely uses the dishwasher) With this new-fangled technology, it seems we've run out of spoons on occasion as I only run the dishwasher if it's full.

Leave it to my husband to purchase a $100 silverware set from Macy's instead of just washing a darn spoon. It's a good thing he's cute. Oh and it's a nice present.

I wonder what's next on my list of things to own now that I'm becoming a grown-up? One can only wonder.

No comments: