12 December 2006

If You Give A Mouse A Cookie

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie is a children's book. I think it's actually a book for parents as it so aptly describes many people's lives. In case you're not in touch with your inner three-year-old or in possession of one, the story goes like this:
First the mouse would like a cookie, so a cookie is given.
Then the mouse needs milk to go with the cookie, so milk is given,
Then the mouse needs a napkin, so the napkin is given.
And so on And so on
Until the mouse ends up with a multitude of things going on and finally it resolves back at needing a cookie.

This is how my life goes. Not only is the Mad Genius ADHD Boy, I believe I am slightly ADD myself. I can start off with a plan and an hour later, end up doing something completely different. I could list examples all day long so let's not bother, shall we?
There are two t-shirts that apply to the Mad Genius and sometimes myself: "They say I have ADD but I don't think...Oh! Look! A Chicken..." and "I'm Talking and I can't Shut Up." Ooh, there was a good example right there and I didn't even intend it!

Last month I signed up for NaNoWriMo; which is the National Novel Writing Month. The premise is to write a novellette, 50,000 words during the month of November. Me, being the under-estimator of how long things actually take, excitedly signed up. I'd just finished my actual novel and have another in the works so I thought it might be fun. And it was fun. But unfortunately, my NaNoWriMo has turned into NaNoWriMos.

Circumstances that aren't under my control happened that kept me away from the keyboard. Fun stuff like looking for a job, a parent having open heart surgery, a day without electricity, you know, the fun stuff that life likes to hurl your way. I also counted on using the time that the Mad Genius was in Las Vegas Baby to write but my pouting took more time than I had scheduled. So, here we sit. It's December and I'm not even at the half-way point. Oh and did I mention that my laptop ate about four pages? Yeah. FUN.

But now I'm committed, I'm interested. I can't just let these characters fade away into oblivion. One of the other challenges are/were that I have the world's shortest attention span. I would work on the novellette but it would remind me of something else that I could write about and then I'd find myself on a tangent. This somehow didn't affect my blog, as evidenced by months of neglect. But it did result in adding sections to the previous aforementioned "finished" novel. I'm sure this is the nature of the writing beast. I just have to figure out a way to work with said beast.
But perseverence is one of my qualities! I shall prevail! I have a new goal! I'll finish the damn thing by the end of December. It's only the 12th! I have PLENTY of time.

Now, what was I doing?

No comments: