27 June 2007

Y It's a New Adventure!

I have begun a new adventure. As much as I said that I didn't want to work full-time ever, ever again, I am. I've taken a pretty easy job at the local YWCA. I applied on a whim and it turns out they really, really wanted me to work here. So, I am trying it out.
Returning to full-time made me anxious, I've had nothing but free time for a year and relinquishing it was difficult. It's taken some juggling to make everything fit but it seems to be working out just fine.

Now, onto more fun stuff...let me tell you about this joint:

I work in a historic building; it’s over 100 years old. This would, of course, on be considered historic in America, as Eddie Izzard would comment. However, I believe that it is on the historic registry and I know that somehow the tree in the yard is a historic monument. I don’t yet know why.
It is brick on the outside and semi-Victorian on the inside, with a splash of 1980’s hotel décor. It overlooks the bay and part of downtown. The view is beautiful and soothing. The purpose of the building has always been a YWCA and was built specifically for the program.

My desk is set diagonally, against another desk. It’s an odd set-up, not one that I would have chosen but it works. I can see the entryways, as per my job. I have some privacy, as I am partially obscured by my monitor. The nearly floor to ceiling windows are behind me. I am tempted to turn my desk so that I can look out the window without turning in my chair but then I would lose privacy and probably concentration. I love to watch the cars pass by on Forest Street.

I have a family portrait and a clock from my home on my desk. Those are the only personal touches that I have brought here. There isn’t space for many homey touches. In addition, after my last career adventure, I am hesitant to make the space too personal. I’m enjoying the anonymity a little and I am reluctant to yet commit to a job wholeheartedly. There are two plants on the little ledge. One looks like a giant dandelion, I think it’s supposed to be outside but it’s been left in my office. The other is a strange little ivy-ish plant that suddenly appeared and no one has claimed.

I have the radio turned on, which is unusual I have been told. Apparently the girl before me never had it on. It would be a slow descent into insanity for me if I were forced to endure silence all day. Alas, I have to endure what I refer to as pabulum radio. It’s “family friendly” pre-programmed radio. Nothing like what I would normally listen to. But the staff and residents alike have had fun listening to the music, it’s become a good ice-breaker.

The front desk/reception area is a long counter and has folding café doors. There’s a transom window above it, which allows in more light. I wish transom windows were used in houses more, there is just something about them that I like.

The lobby has a grandfather clock that literally came with the building. There is also a chandelier that lights the lobby. I don’t think it came with the building, it looks too modern. Nevertheless, it adds to the grand ambience of the building. Again, 1980’s hotel style furniture is placed around for residents and guests. The residents will often hang out in the lobby in the afternoon and some of the conversations that I hear are remarkable!

There is a ballroom, a real authentic ballroom with huge windows that overlook the bay. As you walk in, you can feel and nearly picture the spirits of women past that graced that floor. The ballroom is used for classes, meetings, and weddings now. A remodel will soon return it to its past glory. I can hardly wait.

Upstairs is all resident housing, set up as a mixture of hotel and dorms. Each floor shares a bathroom (yikes!) and a kitchen. It has been remodeled so spirits past are not so prevalent upstairs as down.

The basement houses the old YWCA pool. Sadly, it’s not longer in use. It’s been covered and is now a staging area for a clothing give-away program that this Y program has. I am disappointed that it’s not accessible and will soon also be remodeled for more offices and storage. I’ve only been here three weeks and a few people have asked if the pool is still here as they swam in it as a child. I think I would swim every day if it were.

The residents here have been a trip. There are some women that it’s clear how they ended up here. There are others that I wonder what the hell happened that they are here. Each of them has a specific, personal story, of course. The underlying themes all seem to include mental health issues, domestic violence, or drug use. Sometimes all three factor in.
(And, the residents will give me more fodder for my name theory!!!)

It is nice to be working in the non-profit world again. I just had such issues at my other “work” with not having contributed to the well-being of the community in any way. I guess, if nothing else, it clarified that I don’t want to work for any for-profit companies if I have the choice.

This position is part babysitter, parent, and security guard. The honeymoon period is over so I’m slowly being asked for special favors or getting snarked at. They said it would happen and it has. That’s okay though, I’ve had to think on my feet all of my life.

So, there you have it: a lovely tour of my new work. If I can figure out how to post pictures and make them stay, I will do so soon.

No comments: