14 August 2007

EDDIE!


I am a huge fan of Eddie Izzard. H.U.G.E Fan. I actually belong to his fan club. (http://www.eddieizzard.com/)

I know, I know, it's shocking. Try to roll with me here. I am in a fan club. That, my friends, is how great Eddie is.


It was with joyous glee that I received an email notification that Eddie was making a trip to my beloved Seattle. I have seen him live once before and had a great time. The enitre experience was entertaining. To the 100 year old theatre, to the funky eclectic group of people, to Eddie himself.


After that whole exploding thing, I had to go. So, thanks to my friend W who spent a frustrating hour on the telephone on Monday morning, we got to see Eddie!!!


He was fabulous. He was using this set in Seattle as a test for his newest routine. He was nearly flawless. I say nearly because he was upstaged by a fly. Yep, a fly.

A fly flew right into his forehead during his set; apparently, on a kamakazi mission. (Eddie's line, not mine)
Eddie spent the next 30 minutes riffing about this fly. Including polling the audience on determing the fly's fate. (it was 50/50 of course. This is Seattle, after all) The crowd was roaring with laughter.
I figure anyone who can pull that off, deserves my adulation.


Eddie is not a comedian of the Jerry Seinfeld or Kathy Griffin ilk. I really feel awkard calling him a comedian. He makes you think. He teaches you about history, religion, science. And he makes you laugh. By the end of his shows, a person feels as if you are friends and you've just been chatting over coffee. Of course, snorting said coffee through your nose but chatting all the same.


So, if you get a chance, go see Eddie. If you can't, rent any of his DVD's. Go, go now. Log onto Netflix or Blockbuster. Go!

I personally love Dressed to Kill, but any of them will entice you into being an Eddie devotee. He is also an actor, currently in "The Riches" on FOX and has an upcoming movie, which name I can't recall. Forgive me.


Are you still here? Go, I said. Go rent Eddie. Go buy tickets! Go!

No comments: