19 January 2008

Adventures with My Father

I recently went on a field trip with my father to the doctor office. As he's still in an extended care facility, we had to take the dial-a-ride. (public transportation for elderly & disabled)

As luck would have it, the driver is a neighbor of my parents. A neighbor my dad hasn't met yet. As he has always lived on the Lake, he knows many people that live out there.

In a lull of conversation, after comparing neighbors, property taxes, etc, my dad decides to bring up the fireworks.

I just thought to myself. "Great, dad, can we talk about that? Remember when we blew up? Yeah, good times."

I know in his weird little way, he was bragging about his kids and by extension: himself but jeez.
I know! Let's talk about losing all of your kids in one fell swoop, shall we?

The driver was appropriately sympathetic and interested while I tried to think of anything else to say to steer the conversation out of the skid.

Tact and my dad. Not two things that often collide .

I just realized, I forgot to share this story with the brothers. I'll email it to them. They'll love this one. Just one more anecdote in the ongoing adventure of Aging Parents. Stay tuned. There will be more, I promise.

No comments: