05 January 2008

It's a Hair Dryer

I have a grand-nephew. I am also his Godmother. Unlike most parents, my niece (in-law) seems to take this seriously and often asks for advice, guidance or whatever. Mostly I have complied with little restraint. However, there are some issues where I have held my tongue and this story is the combination of both issues.

On Christmas, my nephew showed me a toy gun. " I got it for Christmas!" It was more of an acknowledgment than an exclamation. Without thinking, I replied "Oh, that's too bad."
I am not anti-gun, per se, but I am anti-weapon when it comes to children. This is where I part ways with the nephews parents.

MG and his brother heard me say what I said and kind of laughed. One of them asked "You know why he has that don't you?" I shook my head and steeled myself for the explanation.

His parent are worried that he is too girly. He plays with dolls too much. So they bought him a gun to play with. My head reeled.

In a non-too-quiet voice, I replied "Well, you know what? If he is gay and there's NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT, it will just become a Hair Dryer, so that doesn't quite work out does it?"

I think for his birthday, I am going to buy him a beauty shop playset. If only to counteract the idiocy and my own personal entertainment. Jeez, in the name of Cher and all that's Holy.

No comments: