09 April 2008

It's a sign

So on Saturday, the Mad Genius and I went on a small-ish road trip. Racing season is beginning soon so we went to pick up race fuel some distance away.

The two of us tend to get into deep conversations while in the car. I don't know why this is and it's not to imply that we have shallow conversations at home. It's just something we do. It's almost therapeutic. The topics can range from family to world issues to religion.

For some reason, the subject of God, faith and religion came up. As from my previous post, you know that this has been a regular occurrence lately. I am not sure why.

The Mad Genius is Agnostic. He, being hard-wired the way he is, questions Everything. He doesn't understand my faith....faith being the understanding that my beliefs just "are". Not "faith" as in I am Catholic, Mormon or Lutheran but as in I simply believe there is a power greater than us and I don't require extraordinary proof to believe.

So, as we speed down I-5, we notice a mini-van pass us. The passenger waves and gives us a thumbs up. Now, to risk sounding fat-headed, we've become a little used to thumbs-up in traffic but ONLY when towing the racecar. We were just in my truck. MG puzzled for a moment and then pointed out the back of the van. They had the fish symbol on their bumper. As did we.

For some reason beyond our explanation, they chose that moment to acknowledge our sticker.

Now if that's not some sort of sign, then nothing is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the thing about faith is that you can't choose it. You either DO or you DON'T believe. Either you believe in fairies or you don't. Either you believe in ghosts or you don't. Either you believe in auras or you don't. Either you believe in God or you don't. I believe "hard-wired" is exactly the right term.