08 July 2008

The Rock

On the way to work every morning I pass "The Rock". It's a landmark up here that everyone checks out as they pass by on the freeway.

It's a boulder, really. It's what I would describe as God's Exterior Decorating. One of those things that I imagine him saying "Hmm, what this area needs is a huge rock. Right there. Yes, that's perfect."

I imagine that back-in-the-day, the rock was much smaller. But now it has, what I imagine, is 100's of coats of paint on it. Every week or so, it changes. Sometimes it's "Happy Birthday!", Sometimes it's "Congratulations Class of 2007!", you get the idea.

After 9/11, it was painted with a flag and "We will never forget." Yeah, nothing like bursting into tears on the way to work. That one stayed for about a month until someone painted over it with something inane like "Way to go Debbie". I suppose it was a matter of time before it was painted over, but it was just a little disappointing.

My all-time favorite was of Calvin, of Calvin & Hobbes. He was sulking. A perfect rendition.

Last week, someone painted the rock and I've been intrigued ever since. It's completely black, with red lettering and reads:
"I'm Sorry Thomas
~ Randy"

I am dying of curiosity. Who is Thomas & Randy? What did Randy do? Has Thomas seen the rock? Did he forgive him? It's intriguing. I find myself playing out stories in my head.

I wish I could take a photo but it's nearly impossible with a cell phone camera and 65 mph.

So, I'll share with you and you too can obsess about Thomas & Randy.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Randy might have been a her not a him........gives you tons of new scenarios, eh? Hummmm.............