24 July 2008

Snap Crackle & Pop

If you're only experience with chiropractors is Alan on Two & A Half Men, listen up!

I was not a fan of chiropractors. I was cynical, well - perhaps dubious is a better word.

And then entered the MG who SWORE by chiropractors...or rather, by his chiropractor. He was in a motorcycle accident when he was 19 (hate those damn things) The hospital and his doctor proclaimed him "FINE." They told him to give it a few days and he would be good to go. Two weeks passed and he was pretty much bed-ridden. Someone told him to go to the chiropractor. He was also in the skeptical/dubious category. Desperate, he gave it a try.
It worked! A series of adjustments and he was a brand-new man. He goes regularly-ish now and tells that story whenever he has a chance. (when appropriate of course. He's not stopping innocent by-standers or anything)

YEARS LATER...we had been married nearly ten years and I still hadn't tried it. Hadn't really needed to, or so I thought.

I got up one morning and couldn't stand straight. Not straight as in solider at attention straight but straight as in my shoulders were on one side of my body and my hips were on the other side. I was a rookie at that point but I was pretty sure this wasn't good.

The MG took me to his doctor and a few adjustments later: straight and true. Magic. Relief!
I have been a devoted patient ever since.

Now, the trick of chiropractor treatment is follow-through. If you're not going to follow-through on their instructions then don't bother. Trust me. This is Suzy-I'll-Do-It-Myself talking. It just doesn't work that way. Every once in a while, I'll get cocky and not follow instructions. Yeah, bites me in the ass every. single. time.

(oh, and when I rolled the truck, I didn't bother with the ER. I knew they were going to tell me I was fine, but here take some Oxy-Contin just in case. NO THANKS. I went to my doctor instead. Yeah, dislocated shoulder and hip. A few treatments later and it was like the accident never happened...other than the whole not having a vehicle thing)

As time has passed, a few funky little ailments that I've always had have gone away. Little things that a person carries and just doesn't think about. Ear infections (well, that's not little)
a sore shoulder or wrist. Ringing in my ears. All gone.

And you know who doesn't like chiropractors? Sneaky Little Bastard. He hates chiropractors.
They had a falling out somewhere along the way.

It also teaches you to listen to your body...now that sounded very Deepok Chopra but it's true. You start to pay attention: "was that a good pop or a bad one?" "Do I wake up sore or can I get up easily?" "What's that noise?"
But it's all about us being electrically-powered. When our bones are out of adjustment, the nerves, synapses, and spine can't communicate. It's like a kink in the telephone cord. (for those of us who used to have rotary dial telephones)

And there's a little bit of faith mixed in there. You have to assume that it's going to work. What did I say after the accident when the doctor said "It's going to be about six months for you to fully recover." I said "I Don't Have Time for That." It's about mind-set.

Now, before I go all Tony Robbins on you, chiropractors are not for everyone and not every chiropractor is a good one. I think a person has to be very discerning. Because there's a level of trust that has to be there when he's twisting your head around on your shoulders in a very unnatural-like way. (:-D

No comments: