14 August 2008

Basic Needs

My nephew...oh, okay, well my *grand-nephew* I suppose if we want to get technical and make me feel old...his birthday party was tonight.
He just turned 5.

First off, it is stupid difficult to find a present for a five-year-old that is not any of the following:
1. Computer/screen based...games, videos, etc.
2. Violent...Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers, even Transformers OR just the plethora of
weapons available!
3. Commercially based...CARS, Thomas The Tank Engine, any of the listed above.

It's beyond irritating. I refuse to do any sort of the above, simply refuse. It was the same for my other nieces and nephews. A person pretty much has to shop online or in a high-end toy store or a teacher store to find anything that doesn't fit into that criteria. Pain. In. The. Ass.
Oh, and let's give the honorable mention to games and puzzles with a million little pieces...Jeez.

Anyway, his grandma (my s-i-l) suggested clothing. Now how boring was it, as a child, to get sweaters from Grandma? It's just not right. The only way I could possibly stomach clothing as a birthday present is if it is something made specifically for him. (embroidered hat or hoodie, perhaps) I will admit that this year was a little different as he's starting Kindergarten in a month.

But here's the thing, while I'm on a rant:
I don't like buying Basic Needs and disguising them as presents. It's just not right.

Yes, yes, of course there is an exception to every rule. But on the whole, birthdays are supposed to be special, fun, frivolous or big ticket (ONLY if you can afford it) items. Not jeans, shirts and socks.
It's just my humble opinion. I know raising a child is expensive, totally get that.

But I also see that the first day of school is rarely a surprise, children growing is rarely a surprise and with the multitude (at least in this area) of consignment/second-hand shops for children specifically, combined with - as Swistle suggested - a little planning, there shouldn't be a need to have us buy him jeans for his birthday. (he's an only child, btw. If it were Swistle's family, my opinion is slightly different) A $3 shirt a week, over the course of the summer is an good example of that I'm trying to say.

It just seems un-fun and a little mean to buy a kid clothes for his birthday.

What did I buy? you ask...
A non-commercial coloring book (didn't know those even existed anymore!) a new box of Crayons, a fun glow-in-the-dark and flashing koosh ball, and kid binoculars.

And what did he play with? the binoculars. What did he set aside? The jeans and the shirts.

Nanner. Nanner. Nanner.

1 comment:

Not Your Aunt B said...

I tagged you for a post about 6 random things about yourself. I just really like your blog and hope you can do it.
http://thiswonderfulcrazylife.blogspot.com/2008/08/tagged.html