04 February 2009

With this ring...

For my Very Big Birthday, my BFF D gave me a ring. It's silver with my birthstone (blue topaz) with diamonds on each side. It is engraved with our motto, or catchphrase if you will, GYKILY. This stands for "Gurl, Yew Know I LUV Yew" (spelled phonetically so you get the full impression of the pronunciation :-)

Mostly the jewelry I wear is what Kevin has given me over the years. One of his first gifts to me was a gold cross that I never take off. One of his last (as in most recent...) gifts is diamond stud earrings. He's got pretty good taste in gifts, that boy does. He even double-checked with D before buying the earrings. I think I might keep him!

On my left hand, of course, I wear my wedding rings. There is a simple gold band and my engagement ring, which is two intertwined gold bands in a marquis setting. As Kevin can't wear his wedding ring anymore, I wear it. With the marquis setting, it stays on even though it's too big. I like the weight of the rings and the continuity of wearing the engagement ring and both wedding bands.

On my right hand, I wear a sapphire ring that Kevin also gave me. It is paired with a ring I had when I met him. I've tucked D's ring behind those two rings.

I also have a Black Hills Gold ring that my mother-in-law gave me years ago. I think I've told the story before...it was too big but I attempted to wear it anyway and I lost it. It was lost for well over a year, if not two years. The day before the old house was due to be torn down, the ring suddenly reappeared. Right in the middle of the kitchen floor. As my m-i-l said, "someone wanted you to find that ring".

I love my rings. I love that each one was given to me by the most special people in my life. I like that each one tells a story and each one matches without it being planned. They're a reminder of how life goes on and the people who have been an important part of it.

With this ring...The circle is the symbol of the sun and the earth and the universe. It is a symbol of holiness and of perfection and of peace. This ring is a symbol of unity, in which your two lives are now joined in one unbroken circle.

No comments: