11 March 2009

15 Albums that Changed Your Life...

One of my friends from high school posted this on Facebook & I found it fun to think about. I constantly use music as a timeline.

Play along, if you wish...

Think of 15 albums that had such a profound effect on you that they changed your life or the way you looked at it. They sucked you in and took you over for days, weeks, months, years. These are the albums that you can use to identify time, places, people, and/or emotions. These are the albums that no matter what they were thought of musically, they shaped YOUR world.

These are in no specific order, by the way. Here goes:

1. Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever See: Petty

2. U2 - The Joshua Tree or Greatest Hits. It's like church to me.

3. 5440 - Casual Viewing - It took me FOREVER to find this album. It's my *sunny day* feeling good album.

4. City of Angels Soundtrack

5. Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing & Mirrorball. I have to be feeling STRONG to listen to these.

6. Boston - Poor Timmy had to list to this album on the way to school every single day. Reminds me of my brothers.

7. The Cars - this was the soundtrack of high school. It seems like it was never not playing in the background.

8. The BeeGees - when my brother returned from the Service in 1980 he set up his state of the art stereo system in the living room complete with headphones. I laid for hours on the living room floor with those headphones on, blocking out all the world around me.

9. Eminem - The Eminem Show "Two trailer park girls go 'round the outside, 'round the outside." The first hip-hop/rap album that I ever owned.

10. Alanis Morrisette - Jagged Little Pill - Michael should thank his lucky stars that this album was released after I was done being an angry girl.

11. Garth Brooks - No Fences - he was just becoming popular when Kevin & I met. I can picture Kevin laying on the couch after work with the stereo cranked. "Two of a Kind" is actually one of our wedding songs.

12. Melissa Etheridge - this album just literally struck a chord within me.

13. Simon & Garfunkel - Greatest Hits - This album makes me think of my mom. It's one of her favorites.

14. Natasha Beddingfield - Unwritten. I gave this to my niece when she was 16 years old with instructions to "listen, learn and love it" She sings about being strong and independent.

15. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon. Yeah, I was pretty dark in my middle/high school years. Think Daria from the MTV show.

Runners-up would be Rascal Flatts, Barenaked Ladies, Def Leppard, and Michael Buble.

I'm a huge music fan so I had to weigh and measure each album. I've changed my mind a few times and I bet if I consider this list further, there would be additions. I could go on and on and on. D and I played an email game about songs once. I'll dig it out one day & post it for all to play.

Oh! Alan Jackson: Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning. Honorary Mention. Seriously.

No comments: