03 March 2009

Food Fail

I am continuing to try to be the grown-up and cook more. It has not come without some pretty good failures. See: Getting My Ass Kicked By Chicken.

Fail One:
The snow day brownies ended up chewy. I think perhaps I didn't mix the eggs in good enough.

Fail Two:
This one isn't my fault but bears mentioning all the same. I forgot to get a side for the salmon fillet the other night. My choices were macaroni & cheese or stuffing. Either would work but I knew there would be *comments* so I called next door to see if they had rice. I didn't think they would because my f-i-l doesn't like rice. But they did.

It was chicken & something Rice-A-Roni. Not bad, I don't brown ( fry, essentially) the rice first so although it's processed, I tried to be health conscious. I opened the package and the seasoning was a solid. I whacked it against the counter and no movement. Thus began the search for an expiration date. Yeah. October of 2003. My m-i-l is trying to kill us. So, stuffing it was. And actually, it was a pretty good combination.

Fail Three:
Good Intentions: 1, Planning Ahead: 0
I bought ground turkey, salmon fillet and chicken breast on Saturday. They stacked up nicely on the refrigerator shelf, waiting to be prepared in the next few days. I have been trying not to freeze things because that pushes a food dangerously close to the "not worth the effort" column.
Again see: Getting My Ass Kicked By Chicken

It was one of those weeks where we ended up eating next door or out so by the time I got around to dealing with the stuff, gross wasn't quite cover it. Yeah, it was an age old question: which went bad first? The salmon or the chicken?


Fail Four:
I tried to make meatloaf with ground turkey. I knew going in that this was going to be a stretch for Kevin. I knew while mixing it up that it was probably not going to end well.
And it didn't. Kevin just sat at the table and gestured toward it, much like the brothers in the Life cereal commercial. "You try it."

Firstly, it swelled. Secondly, it looked gray. Thirdly, it was spongy. Fourthly, it tasted like seasoning and nothing else. Kevin, to his credit, tried a few bites but tapped out fairly quickly.

But I persevere. I will not be defeated. But I am craving a really good cheeseburger...

2 comments:

Not Your Aunt B said...

J won't eat ground turkey for the same reason unless it is white chili, then he says it is ok.

Swistle said...

HA HA! October 2003!