16 March 2009

Hallmark Outlet

One of the projects that arose from Monica's closet is a big bag of greeting cards that we've received over the years. In case you've forgotten: I am Suzy Save Everything.

I'm weeding through these cards as I write this...well, not technically, let's just say I'm writing it in my head as I sort through these and writing it later.

I'm keeping anything from Parents and anything homemade. Those are a no brainer. Anything from Kevin I keep. Especially when he mis-spells "much" because, c'mon, that's just endearing. (he doesn't read the blog, becasue if he did, he would straight up kill me for writing that ;-))

I am blessed with funny friends. I love looking back at the cards we've each received over the years & the notes handwritten within. I don't know where they get the funny cards...some of them are priceless. C gets funny Christmas cards, I didn't know they existed!!!

One friend birthday card addresses me by my childhood nickname, Punkin.
Disclaimer: Anyone in my real life that addresses me by that name will suffer the consequences so think wisely and long before using that nickname. Mmmkay?
Anyway...
When I first got my pyrotechnics license, my brothers impromptully gave me responsibility for the family show. As I am a giant stress ball trying to get everything finished, my dad calls out from the deck "Punkin! I need...."it really doesn't matter what he needed at this point...because the entire yard FROZE. I think the entire neighborhood froze.
I remember distinctly thinking "Ah....f&*k..."

Entering into my line of sight is W. Grinning like a devil. "Punkin?" he asks. UUUUGGGHHHH.
And I have never lived it down. And he's the only one that lives when addressing me as such. Not even Kevin dares to use that name. (:-D So of course, that card is in the keep pile.

Then there's the tough ones: Grandma, Uncle Don & Aunt Susie, Aunt Lynette...all passed. Which creates the question: Which ones to keep, really, because all of these people are going to pass eventually.

Friends I'm no longer friends with: gone. Old staff members that I can't remember anymore: gone. Old neighbors: gone. Anything that doesn't give me that twinge of "ahhh....": gone.

Then there's Brother Dear. Brother Dear has the skill of choosing Psycho Bitches From Hell as girlfriends and wives. So, I've culled through three girlfriends/wives thus far. They're in the maybe pile. And the other brother had a Psycho girlfriend as well so they go into the pile.

Friends who were single, married, divorced and remarried...that's a tough choice. Thank you cards for things I don't remember doing, another tough choice.


My family...sigh...does not do sentimentality AT ALL. It's actually uncomfortable if you break the mold and give a nice card. While Kevin's family gives sentimental cards AND adds a personal note. So there's a little balance there.

Then there's the spelling of my name... No, Kevin get's it right... The in-laws usually don't. They spell it with a "Y" or an "I" and it's spelled with an "E". I've never worried about it, because it just doesn't matter in the big picture of things.

And I think we owned stock in Hallmark for awhile there. Lot's of sappy cards from early in our relationship. I'm thinking about culling through those as well. I can't even guess what year they were given at this point, as it's been nearly nineteen years since we started dating.

I have a book with all of our wedding cards in it and those I think are the most important to keep. Kevin's not sentimental about keeping things so he's no help whatsoever in this decision.

Nevertheless, won't he be glad that I AM Suzy Keep Everything in the future and his parents are gone and he'll have notes from his mom to look back on. I will, of course, keep the "I told you so" dance at a respectful level.

Now I need to think of a better way to store these cards. Crammed in a clear sealable bag is a good start but not conducive to looking through at a later date nor very respectful to the givers, I suppose. Must think...


No comments: