14 April 2009

Previously on Saturday

On Friday, I knew I had a full day on Saturday: lots of errands, chores and the such. When we didn't go out to dinner on Friday, I was able to clean the house that night. I blissfully thought "This frees up lots of time to bond with the couch & television tomorrow."

Apparently Fate heard me and laughed.

I told Kevin "I don't want to sleep in tomorrow. You want to go to the hardware story so let's get going first thing." because the hardware store is in the opposite direction of everywhere I needed to go.

He slept in.
Now, he NEVER sleeps in and he often needs to, so I can't fault him that. But that meant that I slept in also. Ugh. So late start.

We went took the dog to get treats at the mocha stand and went to the Hardware store. Always fun on a Saturday morning. We ran into someone that I'd rather not see ever again so there's that.

I dropped off Kevin at the house and continued on my errands. So far, it's not too bad. I'm only a little behind schedule.

First stop: Target. This went smoothly with the exception of I couldn't find a birthday card for my mom. Usually I have great luck there, so I shrugged it off. I did remember all my Easter candy though! I did choke a little when the final total was displayed. Yikes.

Next stop: Freddys. (grocery store) There was no place to park. Even my "regular" spot was taken. It became clear why as I approached the store...no, not another car fire...the Easter Egg Hunt had just finished.
I had to wade through equally excited & disappointed children and their families to get in. I am not sure which arrival time would be worse: while the Hunt was in full swing or afterward.

But this set the tone for the store. Oh no. Everyone and their brother's dog was at the store. I'd waited long enough into the day that the store was PACKED. All the checkout stands were open & full, with people waiting. None too cheerfully, I might add. Jesus would be pleased.

Also, people must check their manners at the door, I'm telling you.

Finally, I finish and head home. I didn't stop to get lunch and I should have. Because by the time I returned home, Kevin was symptomatic because he lost track of time & didn't eat. Yikes! Symptomatic as in Must Sit Down, panic-attack, shaking uncontrollably. He NEVER does this so I couldn't get mad at him. Sometimes things just happen.

I feed him, he rests...another delay in my day, in case you're keeping track...and finally he goes outside. He returns about thirty minutes later and says:
"Don't hate me, hate my brother, but..."

This is going to sting, I thought to myself.

The boys had plans that night. Plans at the brother's house. I had blissfully planned an evening of a long bath and a movie. (I Still have not watched The Matrix)
Now, the evening had been moved to OUR House. *insert bad words here*

As my head bounces around the room, I am saying "I Have to go to the store AGAIN because NO, I don't have anything for barbecuing because it's, oh, APRIL."
There was a liberal dose of "you SUCK" sprinkled in there for flavor. Luckily - or wisely perhaps - Kevin accepted his suckiness.

Back in the truck, back into town and back into the grocery store. Sigh....

This trip didn't take too long. The store wasn't as busy. I got back to the house at 3:00 pm. Not bad in the scope of things.

I bought the condiments & accoutrements for burgers. I bought french fries, chips, soda & water. I was all set.

A simple question:
Do I need to slice all of this up?
What exactly, other than the burgers, is the brother bringing?
"Don't worry about it" is the response.
*THIS* would have been nice to know two hours ago - pre-second-trip to the grocery store.
But whatever!

The brother says that everything is already sliced up and "We have a slicer", whatever that means. He says he'll bring it.

An hour-ish later, the house is full of boys. The brother did bring everything, which rendered almost everything I bought on the second trip useless. *awesome*

And the slicer? A CHEESE slicer with a loose wire. OMG, I was expecting some fancy electric slicer and he brings a broken cheese slicer.

We ate and it was really yummy. I didn't hate everyone nearly as much post-dinner.

The boys disappeared for awhile so I was able to clean everything up versus doing it after they left or in the morning. I am very OCD about the Malibu Barbie Dream House so, yes in answer to your question: I would have been doing dishes at midnight.

I thought about still having a bath but there's just something, I don't know, a little weird about lounging in the tub with a houseful of men. Instead, I threw myself on the bed with a book & a blankie and did nothing. In fact, I feel asleep for a little while.

Then, of course, I couldn't go back to sleep so I watched all of Saturday Night Live.
I must admit that Zac Ephron is, indeed, easy to look at.

2 comments:

Swistle said...

Favorite parts:

1. "We ran into someone that I'd rather not see ever again so there's that."

2. "Jesus would be pleased."

3. "There was a liberal dose of 'you SUCK' sprinkled in there for flavor.

4. "I didn't hate everyone nearly as much post-dinner."


Wait---you HAVEN'T SEEN THE MATRIX??

Firegirl said...

I know, right? re: The Matrix
I get that response from most people.

I have a date with it and the couch scheduled tomorrow. Kev's going to be gone FOR REALS.