23 June 2009

The Benefit of Holding a Hose for Hours

With the cool rock garden comes about an hours worth of watering. Two different hoses and only one with the cool sprayer. It's a process. I resent this process most times. Have I mentioned that I'm 5' 3" tall? and that the incline is about 10 feet above my head? So, chances of my staying dry during this process are slim and Slim left town.

The weather has been off and on, after 29.75 days of no rain so I haven't been as diligent about watering. When the flowers cursed at me as I walked by today, I figured I'd better water.

I'm standing out there watering, watering, watering. Soon my mind begins to drift and I begin to feel my body relax. Before I know it, I feel dare-I-say peaceful. The birds are singing, I can hear Kevin puttering around in his shop, Missy is sleeping on the deck and Lucky is chasing unseen intruders. It's perfectly lovely.

Sadly, I forget this every time before I water. The feeling is always forgotten by the time I have to go out again. Luckily for me, it always returns. And I always appreciate it.

We, as humans, tend to get so wrapped up in our own stuff that we forget to look around. Watering makes me take the time to look around. And it's beautiful out.



1 comment:

Not Your Aunt B said...

That's why I love having a garden. Those little zen moments of just quietness.