15 June 2009

Stay at Home Wife

Kevin and I were talking about life in general the other day and he posed the assumption that most/many women would prefer to stay home now versus ten-twenty years ago when women working was becoming mainstream. That essentially, the bloom was off the rose. I told him that I wasn't sure, I could only speak for me.

I would prefer to be home, this has been no secret. Kevin would prefer that I was home as well.
I've found that I'm nearly busier when I'm home than when I'm working. Family suddenly needs you, you see friends more regularly, hobbies reappear.

In fact, I've often questioned what the hell I was thinking when I returned to work. I still question that from time to time. Well, I was actually getting a little bored and I do have bigger goals that do require me to contribute toward their achievement.

Now that summer has returned and our lives have become busier, I'm longing for the summer I had off in 2006. Someday I will be home again. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

My BFF C is childless as well. Like me, she would rather be home. Actually, she would rather be traveling than anything else. BFF D is unemployed right now and seems in no hurry to return to work. This seems to prove Kevin's point.

When I was a teenager, I really didn't have dreams of a career. I was going to get married and be a preschool teacher. I did both of those things and now I'm wondering "Now what?" The women in my life as I was growing up were stay at home wives & mothers. I guess that's normal for me.

Wave a magic wand and I would be home full-time. That's my goal. I don't have a plan or a timeline. When it happens, it happens.

In the meanwhile, I'd rather be sitting on my deck, in the sun, with the dog and plunking away on the laptop.

Someday.

3 comments:

Jess said...

I think I'd like to be part-time once we have kids. That would be a nice balance, I think. We'll see.

Not Your Aunt B said...

I'd like to stay at home too...can I retire early? Very early? There's just so much stuff I want to do that isn't connected at all with my work. I would still want to work prn (as needed), but not part-time or full-time. If money were no object I think we both would be stay at home spouses! Alas, we're not. Boo!

Janet said...

I think I'd rather be at home if Ty could stay home With me ;)