19 July 2009

Hay!

It’s hay season here in the county, in most counties I assume. Everyone here has a story about hay, having grown up in a farm community. Everyone has had a job related to hay in some fashion: bucking hay, hauling hay, shoveling hay, etc.

My father-in-law had a job hauling hay across the mountain pass when he was fourteen years old. Of course, this was way way way before any of the licensing laws that we have now. Rumor has it, he drove a hay truck to the licensing office to get his license when he was sixteen. When the licensor asked him where his vehicle was to take the driving test, he reportedly gestured to the hay truck. The licensor asked him who drove him to the office & my f-i-l replied “I did, I just got back from Ellensburg” (on the Eastern part of the state). The licensor signed off on his license right there.

Then the other day Kevin & were traveling somewhere, I don’t remember where. We were going past hay fields that had been mown. They were the big packaged, circular, hay bales that you see now. Kevin gestured toward them and said: “You know, they’re talking about making those illegal now.” I asked him why and he told me:

“Because the cows aren’t getting three square meals a day anymore…”



A little silliness for relief from my previously pissy posts. (:-D

2 comments:

Jess said...

Hahaha that's an excellent joke. I'll have to repeat it to my husband.

Not Your Aunt B said...

Ha! Made me chuckle aloud!