25 July 2009

The Sound of Silence

Life has been so chaotic lately that I’ve found I’ve been leaving off the radio and television. I really realized this yesterday as I headed to the post office. The window was down and all I could hear was noises you hear in the country and the sound of the truck tires against the concrete. Very soothing, to me at least.

Now just the dryer is going, kind of a comfort sound of it's own. I finally turned off the television after Kevin went outside. Now I can faintly hear Kevin playing in the shop and he’s listening to the Zac Brown Band. (highly recommended CD, by the way. County/Jimmy Buffet/Jack Johnson mix)

Usually I need noise to preoccupy the ADD part of my brain so I can be somewhat productive. I can have the television in the background plus the radio or Kevin or the racetrack or *insert noise here* and I can happily work along. But lately, there's just too much going on in my head.

So like watering the garden each night, I am taking a little more time to slow down & listen.


No comments: