30 August 2009

The Kindness of Others

I've discovered that it's not necessarily the loss that makes me cry, it's the kindness of others. Nothing takes me out quicker than a kind gesture.

I can't figure out why but it's always someone elses sadness that makes me emotional. I've luckily had plenty of opportunities to be emotional over the past few days:

D & W lowered the flag at W's firehouse to half-mast and poured a bottle of whiskey out for my dad.

Brett lowered the flags at the Big Lake & Clear Lake Fire Departments.

Little Brother lowered the flag at the house and sent a beautiful picture of the morning's sunrise.




Calls have been pouring in from friends & loved ones.

The lady at the American Legion cried when I told her Dad passed.

The neighbors were strong in front of Mom but lost it once they left the house. God Bless Rory, Dean, Cheryl, Tino & Joanne.

The Fire Department is taking care of everything for the Celebration of Life, we just have to show up with pictures & mementos.

Little Brother is going to order a bronze plaque from the Veterans Administration to be placed next to my grandfather's grave so that people have a place to go to visit Dad. His marker will also be decorated on Veteran's Day, etc.

Mom's BFF brought out chinese food for Mom last night so she didn't have to think about dinner or eat alone.

C sent flowers & a card, even though she says she sucks at this stuff.

K sent a box bursting full of treats that I think we may eat our way through over the next few days. "Good for freezing" hahahaha, yeah right.

The in-laws bought us flowers & a card AND sent Mom a bouquet.
(and in a weird way, all of the cards match...each have different sentiment)

Kevin's co-workers have all sent well-wishes.

One of my favorite fellow racers made a point to call Kevin and send condolences...there's a reason Scotty is one of my favorites. On the opposite end of the spectrum: Mig called as hadn't heard yet & asked how my dad was doing. Kevin told him that he'd died. "Well I didn't Know, f%&k man, or I wouldn't have asked! you as*****e." Feel the love Mig, feel the love.

My blogger friends have sent condolences. Kind words from people you've never met is powerful beyond words.

Once again, the magic of Facebook allowed us to quietly announce Dad's passing. We've heard sweet things from friends that would have not had happened in the past before FB.
One of my favorites:

"I shed a tear for a man I barely knew; this tear is moreso for what he meant to you. I empathize."

I know, right?

I am blessed, for sure.

1 comment:

bethany said...

so sorry to hear. and so very very true, the kindness and sadness of others hits brings tears more often than not. like now. may you have the strength to be strong when you need to, and to fall apart when you need to. may there be arms to catch you when you do. peace.