16 September 2009

Pennies

"If you see a penny pick it up and all day you'll have good luck."

How I know/remember this saying is it was a line in Grease. Said by Pinky at the drag race in the viaducts. I remember watching that with my mom & she telling about actually doing that when she was a teen.

For whatever reason, that little saying has always stuck with me.

Then Dear Abby published a bunch of stories of people finding pennies years ago and I kind of started paying attention.

Pennies do turn up in the oddest places. I often notice them laying around and always pick them up. It is also interesting how often they are shiny...not necessarily new but often shiny.
I don't know if they've brought me luck or not but at least I know that *I've* made the effort.

Not that I do anything altruistic with them. I throw all of our change into a big blue coffee cup that has become our Vegas Savings Account. It's a good thing that the trip doesn't depend on this coffee cup because we would be taking the Greyhound & sleeping in the station. It's the effort that counts.

Do you pick up pennies?

1 comment:

Not Your Aunt B said...

YES! And one year, when we were both broke we decided to take all our pennies to the Coinstar machine in the grocery store. It took us almost 15 minutes to get it all in. We were just hoping for frozen pizza and beer money. We got almost $200. It was awesome. I will never forget seeing the cash total just go up and up and up. Now we do that every year. So fun!