26 October 2009

Commentary

I love reading comments on my and friends blogs. I, however, suck at commenting. It's not that I don't have anything to say. If you ever met me in reals, I usually always have something to say.
It's usually sarcastic or random useless trivia but it's something.

I am sure that I overthink the process. I am a smart ass with a dry sense of humor. That can be difficult to convey when commenting. I rely on (:-D a lot.

Also, the way my brain is wired I'm like the chick in American Pie: "That reminds me, this one time in Band camp..." Because I have stories. Again, spend any time with me: I have stories. Like this one time...never mind. So I worry about hijacking comments.

Many of my friends blogs have parenting stories. Because I'm not a parent, I feel awkward commenting. However, all my years of working with children has given me some crazy knowledge. Need homeopathic lice remedies? I'm your girl. Need an opinion on family beds or crying it out? Sure! But bottom-line, I'm not a parent. It's like an unmarried marriage counselor in my perspective.

Sometimes I'll begin to comment and then worry about it sounding arrogant; filled with "I" statements. It's not all about me, as fun as that would be. So I hit back-space a lot.

Or being on the West coast, some of the blogs have a gabillion comments by the time I've read it. then I kick into Eeyore mode - it doesn't really matter anymore.

So. Yeah. Over-thinking it. I need to get over myself, seriously.

I will persevere though. I resolve to begin commenting. If it sounds awkward, just roll with me. If I ramble or am random, tell me to shush. If you're not sure what I mean: assume it's sarcasm.

3 comments:

Small City Scenes said...

Hey, email me your address and we can be snarky together or get together anyway. LOL
MB

Swistle said...

I think it helps when you're a blogger yourself because you can think of it from the other point of view: do you mind if your comments are about stories your post reminded people of, or if they have a lot of I-statements in them, or if they're your twentieth comment?

The not-a-parent thing, I've found that almost everyone is not SOMETHING (not a parent, not a spouse, not in the work force, not in that field, not sick with the same illness) but still may have useful advice on the topic; it seems to go fine as long as the advice-giver says the source of the experience, so no one DOES think it's an unmarried marriage counselor thing.

Firegirl said...

@Small City Scenes: Sure!!! kellwynn@hotmail.com (:-D
(any of you are welcome to use the email, btw)

@Swistle: See? I so overthink it! (:-D You're quite right!