17 October 2009

She has my cell phone number

I will begin this story the same way I told it to Kevin & D:

You will Never Guess who I talked to the other day...

Go ahead: guess.

No, not my dead dad. Try again.

Rosie O'Donnell.

Yes. I did. I DID!

She has a website: Rosie.com and has a "Ask Ro" section where you can post questions & comments. She answers some of them and it's pretty interesting. She also has a "Say What" section where she asks questions & you can answer in 200 characters.

It's pretty interactive, is my point. Especially for a celebrity.

Anyway, she asked about the Oprah interviews with Whitney & Mike Tyson. I posted comments and thought nothing further about it.

I use a HotMail account for this blog and facebook. I check it about every other day. I checked it on a whim Thursday and cleaned it out. I saw an email from RBlog in my spam filter. I clicked on it and it said:

Hi,

I was wondering if you would be available to talk about your experience watching Tyson on Oprah. We would like to cover the topic on tomorrow's test show (which won't be aired). Would you have time to talk to me today? If so please send me a number I can call you at.

Thanks,

Pete
KidRo Productions
Rosie.com


So, I sent my cell phone number with a great amount of skepticism. Within 20 minutes, my phone rang. Oh. My. God.

There was Pete, with voices in the background. They were in the studio right that second. He asked about my post and typed my responses. He asked where I lived and turns out he lived in Bellingham for a while. Small world. He asked if I would be available to the phone the next morning from 10-12 EST. I did the time zone math, but I don't really know why because Hell.to.the.Yes I was available.

We hung up and I did a little happy dance. But I still was pretty skeptical that anything would happen. I mean, really, what are the odds that I would get a call from Rosie O'Donnell?

The next morning after Kevin left for work (6:00 am - ugh) I took a shower & got ready for work like it was a normal day. A little after 7:00 am, my phone rang and there was my new best friend Pete.

He explained how it would work, I would be able to hear Rosie's doing the radio show, then they would tell me it was my turn then she would come onto the phone.

Now, I am usually a fairly calm individual. It takes a lot to shake me. A lot. Blowing up, rolling a truck, you know A lot. I don't mind admitting that my hands were shaking a bit.

The phone clicked and there was her voice. She was talking about the Tyson interview then sequed into a musing of doing a "What Oprah has Done to My Life" segment on future shows, and she didn't mean in a good way. Someone commented in the background negatively and Rosie said "Oprah is like Don Coreleone in the Godfather. Bad things happen to people who cross her. " I broke out laughing.

My friend Pete came back onto the line about 45 minutes later and said I was next. "And please, don't do the 'I'm such a big fan' thing." Oh no, I told him, I'm so not that chick. He laughed.

Then *click* and there she was Rosie O'Donnell. On. My. Phone.

Oh. My. Gahhhhhhhhhhh

She asked where I was from. After I answered, she said "I filmed two movies there. Is it raining?"

"Of course it is" I answered.

"It rained the entire time I was there, both times and while it's beautiful because of the rain, I could never live there."

I laughed, "We hear that a lot."

We talked about a different topic than originally discussed, the topic of Janney the 7-year-old schizophrenic that Oprah had on her show. I totally call bullshit that she's schizophrenic and that I don't believe the parents aren't above-board. She agreed. Rosie did a Google search and found that the parents have a website soliciting donations. (Ugh, horrifying.)

How fun that we totally agreed.

Then she said goodbye and we were all done.

It was a crazy-cool-weird experience that I still can't quite believe happened.

I called Kevin first. He was cracking up and telling his co-workers.

Then I called D. When she answered, I said "I know it's early and I would never call early unless it was BIG, right?"

8 comments:

Jan Kapple Klein said...

omg firegirl ... I am kind of going through a similar thing with rosie. Back in july I submitted a rosie xm radio logo on her blog. Then recently I received an email from PETE MELE (same guy) saying Rosie picked my logo. cool!!! and that she wants to send me a bunch of stuff, and interview me on her radio show. ok is this even reality. I go out on limb and tell him, instead of a bunch of stuff, could he get me a piece of original art from her (im an artist - would love that) .. he says yes, and says someone from radio staff will be calling me to set up an interview time with me, for sometime in november. I am still like ok - is this real and if so ... this will give me bragging rights for like EVER! huh? anyway, ran across your story and thought wow - firegirl will totally love mine. My artblog site is www.jankapplekleingallery.com Do you live in Washington or Oregon? hee hee .. only mention it cause you and rosie mentioned the rain. lol bye

Not Your Aunt B said...

OMG! How cool? That is so cool! SQUEE!

Swistle said...

SQUEE INDEED!

Bethany said...

That's so cool! What a neat experience... :)

Firegirl said...

@Jan...I live in NW Washington State, about 30 minutes from Canada.
CONGRATS on the logo! That is SO COOL.

It was so surreal. I still, one week later, can't believe it happened. How crazy.

Jan Kapple Klein said...

Hey Firegirl. We have family up in Washington (puyallup) - I love it there - so beautiful. We also go to Lake Quinalt for tranquility romance - its like visiting another time like 1940s adirondacks...

I will be on Rosie Radio this Tuesday morning - and Im freakin.. We're u noyvess??

Anonymous said...

I have been through the whole content of this blog which is very informative and knowledgeable stuff, So i would like to visit again.Your article was very informative and helpful. It encouraged me.

cell phone number reverse search

Anonymous said...

She agreed. Rosie did a Google search and found that the parents have a website soliciting donations. (Ugh, horrifying.)

cell phone number reverse search