01 October 2009

Twenty One

My adult nephew has a girlfriend that I don't much care for. I have a difficult time remembering her name because she has one of those late 80's princess names, Brittany, Ashley, Jessica, etc. It's awkward because I keep wanting to call her his former girlfriends name. Awkward!

They've been dating eight months and she's practically living with him. This would be fine normally, except the nephew still lives with His Parents. (yes, next door, in case you were wondering) The Nephew is atoning for past sins so I'm okay with him still living with his parents.

My dislike makes me a little uncomfortable because I'm close with my nephew and only want the best for him. But I have to trust that he will make the right choices and she's going to be okay.

Tonight as I was pulling into the "Firegirl Family Compound", Brittany/Ashley/whatever was coming "home" in front of me. For some reason, I suddenly remembered being her age.

At 21, I was divorced and newly dating Kevin. Because of the melodrama with Michael, we ended up living together much quicker than a "normal" relationship. Also, having come from a non-communicative, non-affectionate family, I was longing for any semblance of a family. Kevin's family was certainly more than I bargained for.

At 21, I was a little bit crazy. You can't get married to a pathological liar at eighteen and not be affected in a negative way. I'm sure Kevin's family was a little "WTF" with me at first as well.

It turns out that Princess Name does come from a shattered family. Mom is an addict and Dad is a classic enabler. She has a little sister that she's trying to protect while also trying to take care of herself. I'm sure that this family seems like the Brady Bunch to her.

So, suddenly I got it. I understood. Like his uncle Kevin, Nephew is The Good Guy. Like Firegirl, Princess Name is just trying to make her way. I hope she is as lucky as I was.

No comments: