07 December 2009

Breaking Up with Ellen

I really enjoy Ellen Degeneres and her stand-up routines. For a long time, I really liked her television show as well.

With the DVR, I have noticed that I am fast-forwarding through more & more of the show. For instance, it is a full two minutes from the intro to the show before she actually begins her monologue. 1.5 minutes is nothing but applause. While it's lovely that she's so appreciated but for us sitting at home: Edit it out. It's a little thing but sitting through applause - in a not live show - is annoying.

Also a little thing but disappointing is she used to dance to James Brown, disco, etc. Now she does current music which not only feels like selling out, I just can't imagine my mom or m-i-l enjoying it. (let alone me)

I have a pet peeve about give-aways on shows like hers. Let me be clear: It Is Only Fun for the Audience. For us sitting at home with bills, kids, and just living our lives: it isn't that fun. Kind of like Oprah's My Favorite Things: "Here is a bunch of stuff you can't afford but is really cool!!!!"

It used to be she had good interviews but it seems that she's hurrying through the interviews to play games, give stuff away, and scare people.

I think the final blow, for me, was becoming an American Idol judge. I'm so not excited about it. It feels like a Jump the Shark move.

The show just not the same anymore. It's not much like the show she started. I think I'll just start recording it if it's a guest I enjoy.

Do you watch Ellen? What do you think of give-aways on shows like hers? What talk shows do you watch?

4 comments:

creative kerfuffle said...

i haven't watched talk shows in forever. i think i might have watched oprah a handful of times over the span of her show. i used to watch rosie o'donnell's show and liked it alot. i like ellen, but don't watch w/ any consistency to know how it's changed. the girl and i watched it a week or so ago because the twilight boy was on there, but yes, it was a lot of applause time and the interview wasn't that great. i do like ellen as a person though, she seems genuine.

Firegirl said...

Thank you for mentioning Rosie. I've thought of it but not articulated it: she's trying to be Rosie. That's why it feels contrived.

Not Your Aunt B said...

I loved Ellen. Especially the videos people would send in. It's gotten old though. Too boring. I think I'm bored of all the Ellens, Tyras, Oprahs, The View, etc. Even late night talk shows haven't had very good guests lately (but their comedy is a little funnier).

Bethany said...

I hear you! I used to watch her all the time...lately, I'll check the listing and see if she's interviewing anyone I'd watch. If not, I don't record it. I still really like her, but more and more, i just watch various clips online.