02 December 2009

Seasons Greetings

Usually I spend the day after Thanksgiving firmly esconced at home. I am Not A Shopper. I use the day to dig out the decorations, plan a shopping list, and consider Christmas cards.

This year, I'm just not in the mood. We just returned from vacation, dove into Thanksgiving, and I just want to chill for the next few days. Just give me a minute to realize what the date is, where I am, and what I'm doing. I haven't even put away my Halloween decorations yet. (they're in the office, not still on display. I must clarify.)

Every year I am determined not to get caught off guard with Christmas cards. Every year it is a FAIL. It's not like I'm not organized. I have my happy basket that holds the cards, envelopes, pens, and labels. I even have a handful of stamps this year. I also save a list on the computer of people to send cards. Each year there are a few subtractions and thankfully, not many additions. Each year there is the consideration of "Do I send one to the cousins we haven't heard from in ages?" or Kevin's boss from twenty years ago whom I couldn't pick out of a line-up. Yes is usually the answer...nothing says Christmas like a little guilt.

I am determined to do cards each year though. I am disappointed when I don't receive cards from friends & family.

I've bought the stamps, I have the cards. I just need the ambition. Or a snow day. Snow days are perfect for doing Christmas cards.

2 comments:

Swistle said...

For awhile I had a tradition where I worked on the cards while watching TV and digesting Thanksgiving dinner.

Now every year I think I ought to plan a Christmas Card Party, potluck style where everyone brings a snack and we sit around my 8-seater dining room table and work on our cards. But I never plan that early enough to actually DO it!

Not Your Aunt B said...

I am all for Swistle's Christmas card party! Fun! But mine always go out right before Christmas as I have two uncooperative subjects and no one wants to just see my ugly mug on the card.