20 January 2010

That's One Ugly Bunny

When I was cleaning out Monica's closet I had to reorganize some boxes. I unearthed "Bunny", my childhood lovey, which I sort of wrote about earlier this year...click the link because the picture, OMG the picture!!!

I remember I chose this bunny from a grocery store over in Eastern Washington. I was with my grandma and my brothers on a trip. I was four or five, I think.

However, I remember more vividly my mom being slightly horrified that I had chosen such. an. ugly. toy. I remember her bargaining with me to choose another rabbit that I had instead. I was steadfast, this was my bunny.

He's very loved now, 35 years later but when I bought him his ears were erect. (held up by wires, that had to be removed because they were pokey) His hat had a fuscia colored bill that I don't think lasted very long either. His nose is now nearly gone and I think he had whiskers at one time. Clearly a high quality toy.

Somewhere along the way, I added the scarf from a fabric scrap. Much better, yes? Yeah, my mom was equally displeased with the scarf as she was with the actual rabbit.

I freed Bunny from his box and washed him. I was a little afraid that he would disintegrate in the wash but he didn't. I'm sure still to my mom's dismay.

I left him on the bed yesterday with the intention of finding a more appropriate home for him. Kevin went in to take a shower and all I heard was "What the hell is that thing?"

He came out later and said "No, really. What the hell is that thing on the bed?" I explained what it was and he moved on.

Finally, it was time for bed and he went into the room he muttered "You got to find another place for it because that sh*t's scarier than the Paranormal Activity movie we watched."


(I guess I'll have to find another home for him)

6 comments:

Swistle said...

I have a similarly attractive toucan. It has a flowered body (WHY?) and pink feet and a yellow beak, and eyes made of three layers of glued-on felt. I loved it immediately; my mother hated it immediately.

Not Your Aunt B said...

Oh, bunny! I think he's cute. Not fashionable at all, but cute.

Daydream Believer said...

Whatever you do, don't throw him out! You would be more upset than you think. I had a really gross Grover doll that was my fave as a toddler. Several years back, I lost him. :-( I still get teary when I think about it.

Firegirl said...

Right now he's chillin in the chair next to the bed. I'm going to leave him there until another place presents himself...or Kev does something to him. (:-D

Firegirl said...

Right now he's chillin in the chair next to the bed. I'm going to leave him there until another place presents himself...or Kev does something to him. (:-D

creative kerfuffle said...

i love that you still have this bunny, but dude, he really is ugly LOL i don't think i had anything like that when i was a kid, though i do have a winnie the pooh sleeping bag from when i was 5 and it did lay across every bed i had up until i got married. hmmm. ok, but yeah, i watched paranormal and holy crap that last 20 minutes freaked me the hell out. thank god i closed my eyes and did not in fact see the final shot because you know you can never unsee shit like that.