25 February 2010

Multi-National

The Vancouver Olympics have put me in awkward position. While I'm proud that the Americans are leading in the medal race, there is a tiny bit of me that thinks "Must we win everything?" But if I remember correctly, we suck at the Summer Olympics so perhaps it evens out.

Having spent so much time in British Columbia, I feel just as proud when the Canadians win as I do when the Americans win. I have similar pride when I hear "Oh Canada" played.

I haven't been watching avidly but I have watched figure skating/dancing regularly. Believe it or not, I know how to ice skate and I am always mesmerized watching the skaters. It is, by far, my favorite winter sport to watch. It is also one of my earliest childhood memories, watching The Wide World of Sports on Saturdays.

I wish we cold get up there to see the goings-on but our friends say it's a hassle, especially if you don't know your way around. Also, tickets for events are bloody expensive. But as Kevin has reminded me that sometimes the best seat in the house is in front of the television.

USA! USA! USA! Canada! Canada! Canada!

What Olympic Events are you watching? Are there other countries that you root for?

3 comments:

creative kerfuffle said...

i'm not a big olympics follower. we watched them more when i was growing up, but i think part of that was because there weren't as many channels to watch. if i do catch any i do like the figure skating, but i don't find myself routing for any team in particular. i prefer the winter to summer olympics, though in the summer i like the gymnastics (is that summer?) and the swimming/diving stuff.

Daydream Believer said...

I like the summer Olympics better, but I like watching hockey, ice skating, and even some of the skiing events. Is it bad that I want the Olympics to end now so that we are ahead in the medal count? I mean, really, who cares? But still...

Not Your Aunt B said...

I'm not a big winter Olympics follower as I am terrified of the ice and have only seen 4" of snow (last Tuesday) that lasted about half a day. I did watch and root for Joanie (figure skater) because WOW did she have such strength and composure during such a devastating time in her life!

I cheer for the US. But I also cheer for those lone athletes or the ones with the stories behind them or the ones that are just out there busting their butts...so pretty much everyone. Did I tell you I am not that competitive? HOORAY OLYMPIANS! All of them.