20 February 2010

A Separate Peace

Today I went up to Barnes & Noble to spend my handy-dandy, ever so special gift card from the lovely & generous Jamie.

It's been a mild winter here and today was beautiful. Sunny, in the sixties and one of those days that remind you why you live in the Pacific Northwest. I had my trusty mocha, Kev was at work all day, so I made the 30 minute trip to B&N with Lady GaGa up loud and all day to waste if I chose.

I love all bookstores. I loved "You've Got Mail" simply because it revolved around bookstores. As soon as I entered the first set of doors, I felt myself begin to decompress. I know when I enter this store that I am here for me and only me. How often does that happen in our lives anymore?

I always look at the new releases, local authors and featured novels first. There were a few titles that caught my eye but nothing that I couldn't live without. Next: the bargain shelves. Usually I can find one keeper from this section. Not today, oddly. But that's okay. It's a BOOKSTORE, I am certain that I can find something.

I wandered down the center aisle where more books are featured. I lingered over the "Book Club Selections" table but there is just something about the Book Club designation that makes me want to Not Read the Book. (this is also the reason I skipped Senior Lit class in high school: I hated the idea of being told what to read. And, I had already read some of the books)

At this point, I realized that I should have gotten my wishlist from Amazon. Then I just as quickly decided that I was going to try some new authors instead of falling back on favorites. As if to prove that idea, I picked up a book that was on my list and decided I wasn't interested so I'll need to take it off.

(this is also where I happened upon Glenn Beck's "books" and stuck my tongue out at him. Local boy, my ass.)

I bumped into a section of my teenage years, which made me think of Jamie again. (read here)
VC Andrews. Oh how I loved her books. SO Not Appropriate for a young teen but whatever. I loved those books.

I am also a Book by it's Cover Judger. I like Fiction most. Not Sci-Fi, or bodice rippers, or violence. No vampires, ever. I enjoy some Chick Lit but it has to be about something other than Sex & The City topics. And WTF with Zombie Jane Austen books? I had read about the one book but there were a FEW of them. Seems a little sacrilege to me.

Finally, I chose three books:


This, of course, exceeds the gift card but I planned accordingly. To me, that's half the fun. I can justify the "extra" book because I have saved money with the gift card.

Just in case I've missed something wonderous, I continued to wander the store. The magazine rack held no treasure as I think I get every magazine printed. This B&N has added a stationery section. OMG. I stared at the Hello Kitty section for a few minutes for someone I know who loves HK. I longingly browsed the journal section even though I haven't used the ones I have now.

And then, then! The office/desk accessories area. OMG. OMG. OMG. If I ever sell that doggoned book, I am so going on a shopping spree. (after we go on our Target spree, BFF K)

I have an irrational love of these book ends:




Finally, I went to the checkout. There was one really pushy B&N club cashier and I luckily avoided her. In front of me was a little girl with her grandpa. She was about eight, glasses, and impeccably dressed. When her grandpa was looking for something in his wallet, she opened her little purse and gave him her money clip stuffed with dollar bills. "Here, Grandpa, this will help."
Hi, here's me: puddle on the ground. How sweet is that?

The little girl made my whole day. It was the perfect moment to finish an hour of perfection spent.

Thank you Jamie.

3 comments:

Daydream Believer said...

You're welcome, and thank you! I'm so happy you enjoyed the gift card and the entire experience. I get the same feeling upon entering. When something is wrong, I go to B and N. Like you, I have a whole system. Usually, though, mine includes everything you do, plus the kids' section. I love just sitting in there and re-reading the books I loved when I was little. Makes me feel better. I, too, loved VC Andrews. Her books taught me about the birds and the bees when I was in middle school! I couldn't get enough of them! Haha.

Swistle said...

Mmmm, that was a GREAT vicarious experience! I love bookstore-browsing, too. I justify giftcard overage by dividing the overage by the number of books. So, say, if I go $10 over, then my three books were only $3.33 each! How could anyone resist such a bargain? I should get one more book at that price!

creative kerfuffle said...

i love bookstores for the same reason. it's one place that i don't mind browsing in. i can walk through and look at the books (and drool in the stationary/office section) and be fine. i also judge a book by its cover : ) i do, however, read bodice rippers from time to time (but i don't buy them, i check them out at the library) and i read vampire books (anne rice and yes, the twilight series, i live w/ a 13 yr old) and SOME chick lit. it sounds like you had a lovely day.