02 March 2010

Everybody Poops

Do you know that book? It's a Japanese childrens book about going potty. It's a little embarrassing/uncomfortable to read for some but kids love it.

I have had probably more contact with bathroom behaviors/results than most (except Bea, of course!) Being a preschool teacher & administrator, I've been in more potty training sessions and diagnosed more dirty diapers than any human should endure.

I'm not grossed out easily. My brother can deal with blood and gore but can't deal with poo in any way. So we all have different comfort levels.

Porta-potties are a necessary evil in some circumstances. While they're not my favorite, I don't understand people's FREAKING OUT about them. We had to have one at work awhile ago and there was copious amounts of whining.

I know someone that CANNOT CANNOT CANNOT go to the bathroom if there is someone else In The Room. It is the oddest thing. Even if you are just standing at the sink washing your hands, she will come back later. I can see not wanting to go to the bathroom with your boss is in the next stall (mine chats with you, btw) but exiting the room completely is just strange.

Now, as far as bathroom habits are concerned, I am private. I believe that if a couple are going to the bathroom (especially poo) in front of their spouse, the relationship is gone. It just seems disrespectful, to me. Now I'm not talking about the elderly because shit literally happens when you age. And mom's can help but use the bathroom with their children, so there is leeway in my opinion. This is just my personal preference. I'm not to the level of running water or singing while I go to the bathroom but it does bother me a little when I'm sick & Kevin is in the next room. (master baths attached to the master bedrooms are not a great idea in this instance)

Kevin has said that most guys don't even want to know that their loved ones go to the bathroom. He says this kiddingly, of course.

Did you hear about Terrence Trent Howard's interview a few years ago? He was quoted as saying this was a dealbreaker: "Toilet paper - and no baby wipes - in the bathroom. If they're using dry paper, they aren't washing all of themselves. It's just unclean. So if I go in a woman's house and see the toilet paper there, I'll explain this. And if she doesn't make the adjustment to baby wipes, I'll know she's not completely clean."

Now that's just messed up.

What is your opinion on bathroom habits & couples?

(and yes, this is an odd topic but enough anecdotes kept popping up that I had to obey the muse)

3 comments:

Not Your Aunt B said...

I can deal with any kind of human poop but hate (HATE!) to pick up dog poop, especially if it is fresh, wet, doodoo bugs are on it, or it is frozen. YUCK! Makes me gag. Even using the little shovel/rake thing- YUCK, YUCK, YUCK! But then again, I wipe ass all day for a living (ok, not ALL day).

I have no issues pooping in front of anyone as long as I'm on a toilet or if we're in third world/extenuating circumstances. I see it as I HAVE to poop, YOU need to leave or else suffer the consequences, I may hold my pee, but I ain't holding my poop.

And does Terrence Trent wipe his penis every time after he pees? Because then, he's unclean.

Daydream Believer said...

Ok, this is really embarrassing to admit, but I CANNOT do a 2 if Rick is anywhere nearby! I once made myself sick early on in our relationship when I went out to visit him for a week and NOTHING happened, if you get my drift. I'm getting better at it, and we've actually talked about it. I broke down one day and was like, "I've never pooped here!" His look was worth a million dollars. He's like, "WHAT? EVER?! Go in there right now and do it!" as if I could just do that sort of thing on command! ACK! Anyway, I have issues. I liked this post, and I'm sure it touches home to a lot of peeps, like moi.

creative kerfuffle said...

i've been married for a long time (it will be 18 yrs on the fall) and have had kids for 13 yrs so bodily functions (to include vomit, rancid ass gas, spit, snot, poo (in all its forms) and pee) don't really phase me. the hubs and i do not drop the kids off at the pool (my brother's saying) while the other is in the bathroom. i don't mind peeing in front of him though. he, however, prefers his privacy at all times in the bathroom. my kids could care less--they never shut the bathroom door.