13 March 2010

The Genuine Article

The other day at work I heard someone say "She leads a guilty life."

While sad, I was fascinated with the statement. One usually hears of a life summed up once it's over, not while it's in progress. I began to think about how my life would be described. My first instinct was "honest" but I discarded that idea. I've had some moments that definitely cross that word off my list.

I'm often described as blunt. I am clear about how I feel, what I'm thinking, and where I'm going. To use an Oprah word, I am "authentic". I believe that what you see it what you get. It may not always be popular, comfortable, or fun but you'll know what I'm about.

One of my favorite quotes is from Oprah...or maybe it's Maya Angelou...."When someone shows you who they are, believe them."

I know, right? how often do we ignore the little voice in our head? How often do we think "Well, she means well..." We tend to work around stuff that we really shouldn't. Believe them when they show you who they are. They're mean to waitresses. They're unfaithful to their spouse. They lie to their employers/coworkers.

When someone shows me who they are, I try to pay attention. I try to remember. And when I show you who I am, you can bet it's authentic.

Who are you?

2 comments:

Not Your Aunt B said...

I agree. I am more of an instinct person, when it comes to those things, but instincts are you're subconscious picking up on little details like the ones you've mentioned and putting it together. The details sometimes reveal the bigger (or lesser) person.

Swistle said...

I have SO much trouble with that. I'm always making excuses for people I like, and then it often hits me ALL AT ONCE. Painful.