12 March 2010

I was Cool Once

We were telling stories the other night. No, not bedtime stories but back-in-the-day stories.

I used to be cool once. I used to go out at night. I used to go to clubs and dance. I used to have an attitude. Now? Well, now I'm just pretty chill. And you know what? Being chill is good. But I kind of miss being cool.

I asked Kevin to take some of the decals off the truck window this weekend. There are two pyrotechnic decals that just bum me out when I see them now. As I'm not licensed anymore, it seems dishonest to have them. Come to think about it, I don't think Brother Dear has them anymore either.

And, let's face it, I'm 41 years old. Not a high schooler with her first car. I don't need to have a stickered-up truck.

Wait, what? I'm off topic. So surprising.

Yes, I used to go to seedy bars & listen to AC/DC all-girl cover bands, I once blasted "America" by Enimem while sitting in traffic next to protesters. I used to drink. We used to have parties where we played games all night and laughed so hard it hurt the next day. We used to go on late night road trips. We used to go to Seattle on a whim.

Those days are gone. The cool factor has faded.

Then I realize, I do other cool things. I write every day. Not everyone can do that. I take care of my family, and while not glamorous, is important. And my husband is a freaking racecar driver and I'm his crew. That's pretty cool.

I guess my point is that "Cool" changes with age. Cool when we were grade-schoolers was cussing and talking back. Cool when we were high schoolers was staying out late & driving too fast. Cool when you're in your twenties is being independent & having fun.

Cool changes. Cool is what you decide it to be.

What makes you cool? Seriously, think about it, what makes you cool?

4 comments:

Daydream Believer said...

I am easy to talk to, so I think I make people feel comfortable. I also know a little bit about everything--sports, books, politics. I think that's cool, although I wish I knew a lot more.

PS: you're cool in my book, Firegirl. :-)

creative kerfuffle said...

i think this will require more than a passing thought for me because i have kids and they constantly make you think you aren't cool. although, our hair stylist says i'm cool because i let my 13 year old get black tips on her hair. apparently that's not common.

Not Your Aunt B said...

In this house, I am cool because I bake. And share.

Not Your Aunt B said...

Oh, and I don't get grossed out therefore I clean up all the yucky stuff which always earns you cool points and some hero points too.