30 September 2010

Missing

There is a young man missing in Bellingham right now. He went missing last weekend after leaving a party. Where he went missing from is mere blocks from my work, near the university.

Crime like this is unusual in this town. It has everyone, regardless if they know the guy, a little upset.

Today as I walked to the truck to get my lunch, a young woman was walking along the sidewalk talking on her cell phone. I could clearly hear her conversation "Yeah, it's a little weird on campus right now but I don't know. It's okay..."

Then I find a Missing poster on my windshield with his picture and information. Even though I don't know the guy, my stomach just aches looking at his smiling face. He's only eighteen and looks like every eighteen year old you know.

Upon my return to work, there were two women talking to a roofer working on a neighbor's house. They were asking for directions that the roofer didn't know so I answered. They identified themselves as searchers and friends of the guys mother.

I wished them well and continued to walk. A sound behind me caught my attention. They were searching the dumpsters and garbage bins as they went along. I felt my stomach just drop to my shoes upon hearing that.

On the way home, the neighborhood was busier with many more people on the sidewalks. A police car rushed by, heading toward the university and all I could think that perhaps they had found him. But no such luck.

So dear friends, send a thought out for the guy and his family.

Dwight Clark - Bellingham Herald Article...Click Here, Facebook page Click Here

3 comments:

creative kerfuffle said...

i'm sending out positive thoughts. that is so scary and sad.

QueenoftheFall said...

Oh dear! Hope he's found safe & sound

Bethany said...

I've been following the story- hearing that he is close to my brothers' ages just makes me so sad. I hope they find him safe somewhere.