25 September 2010

Nice Things

I meant to sit and write today. I really did. I was going to catch up on comments and blogs and posts and generally be a good writer today.

The weather, however, would have none of that. It was a gorgeous day out today. In the 70's and just perfect. The winds were blowing a bit and if it were November/December, I would say they were the Santa Ana winds, which would explain a lot of unusual behavior.

I put away our patio set today. It's time. I cleaned the dog's outside bowls and Grrrr-ossss. I should have had a free pass for the rest of the day after that. Oh, that reminds me. Here is a typical conversation at our house:

Me: in the dog's yard, rinsing out her bowls with the garden hose.
Kevin: on the other side of the fence at his parents: "*firegirl* is that you?"
"No, it's Missy."
"Oh, thought so."

Yeah, we're a witty pair.

Two nice things happened today. Well, more than that but these are the two that stayed with me until this late hour.

We were at Home Depot today and we were loading drywall and 2x4's into the truck. I heard a guy say "They took my helmet?"
I glanced over and there was this big biker guy...not the scary kind...and he's looking bewildered at his bike. He looks up at Kevin and I and says "They took my helmet. That's never happened before. I suppose it's always possible, but they took my helmet."

Here was the big dude and he was crestfallen. He was the very vision of crestfallen. I began to walk over to talk to him when something caught my eye. In the aisle next to the cars behind him laid his helmet. It was tucked against the tire where he couldn't quite see it. I pointed it out to him: "Is that it there, by the car?"
Much to his relief, it was. His faith in humanity had been restored.

Second thing and this nearly makes me tear up:
The boys are next door watching UFC fights. It's a monthly thing. No girls allowed but I can come down for dinner only. We were eating burrito's and Kevin dropped his. It fell against his shirt, making a mess. We teased him, as we should, and continued to eat. Well, Kevin reached for something and nearly dipped his shirt into his plate. Without a word, The Nephew reached over, moved his plate back, and spun it around so the messy part was away from his shirt.

I looked at him, astounded. "Now, that right there" I told him "Shows me you are a Dad."

It was one the sweetest moments of my adult life, seeing my grown nephew automatically do something that is pure instinct of a dad.

So, it was a good day today. I hope it was for you as well.

3 comments:

Swistle said...

Aw, geez, dude, this is too early for me to be tearing up! Twice! (And I'm so glad you found that guy's helmet!)

Grey Ghost said...

Hi FG,Just for you,well maybe not just for you.
My ggg generation.Well it was your idea.

Grey Ghost said...

Thank you my friend,part two is still in my head,or my heart,somewhere.