19 September 2010

Random Item of the Day - Alternative Uses Edition

Welcome to Random Item of the Day - Alternative Uses Edition!

I am not a big fan of clutter. I'm less of a fan of cords, labels, and commercial items. When you look at interior design magazines, you never see toothpaste on the bathroom counter or soap dispensers, or anything that shows signs of real live people living there. However, real live people do live in my house. With that, this is how I've worked around hiding things.

These are my kitchen canisters...duh...but as we know I don't cook, they now hold all the chargers for our cell phones and bluetoothes, blueteeths?




This one is a little obvious but I am including it because I love this cup so. And this is the same scrubby I've had since we lived on 21st Street twenty years ago. No, I am not sentimental about scrubbies, just lazy about buying a new one.




This one also isn't so special but there is one thing to know: it holds approximately $38 in change. This is our spare change bowl and is dedicated to our annual Vegas trip and Kevin's New Years Eve poker kitty.




This is a little flower pot that I got in an organic store because I was given a white peasant shirt for Christmas. I use it to hide Kevin's medicine on our dining room table.






Last but not least, a decanter. It holds Listerine on the bathroom counter. It's a little heavy but to me it's worth not having an ugly plastic bottle on the counter.


I am sure there are other items that I am forgetting but these are my favorites so there you go.

What alternative uses do you have in your house?

2 comments:

Grey Ghost said...

Your spare change bowl looks the same size as my first coffee of the day cup.

creative kerfuffle said...

i wish i could say my house is uncluttered like yours, alas, it is not.
the thing you pointed out about the home magazines is the same w/ those tv shows like cribs--there is no life or personality in them. i'm not a regular crib watcher, but, all of those houses look exactly the same to me on the inside because aside from the person's trophy or award room there is nothing personal or specific to them in their house. blech.