12 September 2010

They're Not Just for Golfing Anymore

I've had plenty of experiences with golf carts over the past few years.

Golf carts are a normal sight at the racetrack. They're used as tow vehicles mostly. And yes, we have one. Actually, the family owns one. The original intention was for traveling between the three properties here but it's become a fixture in the pits as well.

At first I was morally opposed to having one. We didn't need one for a tow rig so it was just for our own personal use, which I equated to being lazy. Then we started traveling to other tracks, which aren't as localized as our home track. Suddenly, my morals lowered.

It used to be the Big Boys, as I referred to the more high-dollar racers, had the carts and it is with dumbfounded amazement that I now find us in that category.

Back in the day when I was Somebody at the racetrack and made thousands of trips from the pits to the tower, I walked. I would actually break down a pair of sneakers in about a month. I was walking along one day, minding my own business when someone screeeeeeeched to a halt beside me. It was one of the track officials. It was another one of those moments when I thought "This is my life now: cruising the pits with a track official."

We also use our friend's cart when Kevin crews for him. I have a picture of all us piled onto it after Dale won a race that was taken by the track photographer. I've mentioned before how amazing it is to travel down the return road, past the spectators, after a win. A great feeling brought to us by a simple golf cart.

2 comments:

Grey Ghost said...

Oh the decadence,we didn't have such luxury in motocross.You either broke an ankle on a solid rut or sank into ankle deep mud.Those were the days.lol.

creative kerfuffle said...

ah...now i might have to post about how members of my extended family have golf carts because they camp and they use them to get around the campground.