11 October 2010

That Just Happened

Last week was a long week. At 4:30 Friday afternoon I was more than relieved to begin finishing up the day. I had a date planned with Kevin so I was anxious to leave.

I was talking with coworker J while coworker S was in the office next to hers. I heard her kind of scream and looked to see what was the matter. It looked like she had either dropped something on her foot or been frightened by something. I asked her what was wrong, in a kidding tone, when she dropped like a rock.

Turns out she was having a Grand Mal Seizure. Coworker J sprang to action, simultaneously helping support her head and phone 911. I tried to keep S safe until the seizure passed.

What seems like forever passed as she slowly become conscious. Like most seizures, she became a little combative and then simply confused. It was heartbreaking to watch her slowly realize what had happened.

I don't mind saying that it was one of the scariest things I've ever experienced. Not my dad dying, not rolling the truck, this was truly frightening.

The paramedics came in a remarkably short time. Also, I am simply amazed at how much information they are able to get in such a short period of time. They had her whisked away quite quickly, leaving us adrift in adrenalin. Also, Bellingham Fire Department does not have an ugly firefighter or paramedic, I'm just saying.

We don't know the exact cause of the seizure although we have a pretty strong idea and it's not a pretty one. That will be a whole other topic and post for another day.

The only shiny side of this was that Bellingham Fire Department does not have ugly firefighters.

3 comments:

creative kerfuffle said...

wow. i've never witnessed anything like that; i'm sure it must have been terrifying. glad the firemen weren't ugly ; )

QueenoftheFall said...

Crazy! Hope she's ok!
Now I know what you're thinking, but intentionally burning your supper so you can call the FD isn't a good idea, ok? :-)

Bethany said...

Wow! I hope she will be okay-- that must have been so scary for all involved...