14 November 2010

Take Only What You Can Carry

I am starting to obsess about packing. You know this about me. I will make checklists in my head over and over and over.

Then Real Simple felt it was helpful to send me a packing checklist. Some of which, I was all "Wha?" Candied Ginger Root? Full loaded Kindle & Ipod? Seriously?

I was thinking of you know, basic essentials like clothing but if you're more worried about creature comforts: Good on You, Real Simple.

They suggest three pairs of pants for a five day trip. Because apparently no one picks up germs, or spills, or generally exists in Real Simple. One pair = One day plus an extra pair because stuff happens. But they suggest extra shirts. Sigh. Equal parts for equal parts people.

So, Kevin has two pairs of baggy jeans he doesn't enjoy. Those will be his travel clothes. Then we'll pack the corresponding jeans, shirts, and sweatshirts for the days we're in Vegas. Oh, and it's at a racetrack so there is no wear-clothes-all-day & not-change-when-we-go-out at night.

Shoes...Bless Kevin, he can wear sneakers wherever he goes. Big jerk.

Real Simple did advise to "wear your heaviest pair of shoes and pack the lightest". This is good advise, actually. My Dansko's weigh approximately twenty pounds each while my brand new Sketchers (that I forgot I had...I know! right?) can be packed easy peasy.

I overpack, it doesn't matter if we're going to Seattle or Vegas. It could *snow* and I will be prepared. And this is the fun part of Vegas: warm & sunny during the day but chilly & breezy at night. Fun to pack accordingly, for sure.

I'm tripping on toiletries. Because we stay for five days, I usually pack full-size everything. But that makes the suitcases heavy. So then I was thinking about just going to the store once we get there & buying everything. But then it's more expensive down there and what if we run out of time to go shopping that night? (we're meeting approximately everyone from Dawson Creek that night) Gah.

And coats. The last two years we needed coats at night. But there are few things more annoying and shouting "Hey I am a tourist" than packing a coat through the airport. I think I am going to wear my oversize Eddie Bauer down vest and hope that's enough. I think I'll just buy Kev a new PSCA hoodie at the track and he'll be happy.

Oh! that reminds me. Every trip we play the "Wear a shirt that the Brother isn't wearing game." Twice Kevin has had to go back to the hotel room because his brother has the same shirt. Much to our frustration, he buys the same shirts Kevin does and Doesn't Mind if they're Matchy-Matchy. *shaking of head*

So that's what I will be obsessing about for the next two days.

How do you pack? Do you overpack? or just the bare necessities?

1 comment:

creative kerfuffle said...

i totally overpack and obsess about it. i get into a zone. i have two different packing methods, depending on if i was packing for me a biz trip or the whole family. cos, despite the fact everyone in my house is OLD enough to pack for themselves, they can't. i also have to have a shirt for every pair of pants (plus extras) and choices. one biz trip i tried packing light--one thing for one day and i HATED it. i have to have choices. rather than pack the full size toiletries though i got smaller clear plastic bottles to put the stuff in. seriously, it helps.