15 December 2010

Squirrel

The past two days I found myself mired in the ADD. It rarely frustrates me when it happens, usually I try to emulate Kevin and harness the powers for good. Not so much though. Start. Stop. Start. Stop. Each start something new and each stop wasn't because the task was finished.

This isn't my usual "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" routine where I have eleven projects going at once. It was a a much more frustrating than that. I actually had the irrational "Eff it, I'm going home" thought. Because now that would be effective.

I think it is partially because I'm going to be on vacation (yes, again, shut up) in a few days and I think I'm just having one of those cycles where my brain is all Ricochet Rabbit. I acknowledged my frustration to the Universe but I was too distracted to hear it's answer. (joke, people, joke)

Finally I fell back onto a trick from when I was in high school:

Cleaned off my desk.
Piled up all the projects and set them aside.
Turn out music/television/whatever. In this case, the Eddie Izzard documentary.
Make a List.
Start at the top & work my way down.

This helped because I not only accomplished a lot on my list I also got to listen to the documentary. And yes, that's how my brain works. It needs the background entertainment. If I would have gone into the Cone of Silence, I would have ended up playing Solitaire on the computer & looking out the window.

Today was a little better because I was tired from being out last night. I also just had two projects left to do before I leave. Both of them mindless tasks, which are busywork but definitely needs finishing before I go.

On Monday I visited the lovely Swistle via the interwebs. She talked about her In the Bucket In! mechanism. This was tremendously helpful to me, as always, because Swistle is my friend-before-blogging friend and I was reminded of that friendship while reading. Also I immediately wanted to go visit and accomplish nothing together. We're in the same, albeit drifting, boat!

More importantly, she reminded me "One step at a time. One drop in the bucket is still progress."

Meanwhile, it has taken me nearly two hours to write this doggone post. I had to finish watching Craig Ferguson, I had to talk to Kevin...who is working nights tonight saving Stanwood again...and laundry...then The Sing-Off came on...then I had to find the links for this post so then I found myself watching Hanna-Barbera cartoons...gah!!!!!

So poppets, do you ever have these days? How do you work through it?

2 comments:

creative kerfuffle said...

i think i have these days more than i realize. i get mired down in these days. but, i do find that the list thing helps. instead of feeling overwhelmed that i have a million things to do, i write the list and realize it's not as much as i thought. then i get a satisfaction when i cross it off. also---the background noise---this more depends on my mood. if i'm in a dark mood (like i have been this week) i subconsciously remove myself from sound when i'm home alone. no radio. no music. it's like i'm punishing myself.

Swistle said...

YES, we could sit around and go "OMG SO MUCH TO DO, WHY AREN'T WE DOING IT??" together!