03 December 2010

You're A Mean One, Mr Grinch

I believe I've mentioned this before, probably about this time every year: I am having difficulty getting in the holiday spirit.

I truly think it is caused by two things:

We just returned from Vegas. It is quite a gearshift from no clocks, no schedule, no responsibility, and usually warm weather to wintery wonderland and holiday festivies.

This year we are also doing the gift giving differently. While it is easier on the budget, it takes away the enthusiasm of present opening. I know, I know I am not a child and Christmas isn't about presents but still.

This is worse than previous years though. Kevin's mom keeps worriedly asking if I have done anything yet.

Oh and I forgot to mention that my birthday is awkward again with my family. No one mentioned it at all then my sister in law loudly asked what we were doing. Insert sound of crickets here. Sigh.

Anyway...
I have managed to do three things. There are lights on the porch. My mother in law gave us a very expensive Nativity scene so that is on the coffee table.

My cards are done. Well the first string is. I still have to finish the second string, which consists of cousins and people we send cards out of habit. While doing the cards I chose my three favorite cards from last year. A pretty one from kevins parents and the cards from my besties.

So new goal = house will be frocked by Sunday night. Holiday ennui will be banished.

How is your Holiday Spirit doing?

1 comment:

creative kerfuffle said...

i totally get what you're saying on the gift giving front. it's not that i'm greedy, but economics have caused cutting back here too for the gift giving and it blows. i think i'm going to give something little to everyone even though we agreed not to exchange gifts. i just can't stand it. my holiday spirit got an uplift today w/ our first snow fall. did i miss your birthday? really? what a douche i am!