08 April 2011

Epically Sad

If you're not feeling strong today then stop reading now because this is going to be sad. Terribly sad.

A million years ago in my old life, I was lucky enough to have a teacher on my staff that was the perfect preschool teacher.  Close your eyes and think of who you would want to care for & teach your child and that was Krista.  She was Mary Poppins and The Nanny mixed into one. 

I never had to worry if Krista was there.  She could see something good in every situation.  She could take on the toughest kids and draw them out, always with calm and kindness.  She could charm the grouchiest of parents and tell anyone negative news without the negativity.

Krista is the kindest person I have ever met.  She is one of the people that you are just better for knowing.

As luck would have it, Krista is terminally ill.  I've known for a bit but hadn't communicated with her for awhile beyond checking the facebook updates.

It was with heartbreaking sadness that I read this note posted today:

Dear Friends and Family,

As you may know I have been battling cancer again since November.  I have had successes and difficulties along the way.  I have now come to the point where my body is no longer cooperating with me in my fight.  Rather than continue to work against it I have decided to focus on the quality of my final days.  I am at peace with this as I know it is God’s will for me.

What I am asking for now is your support as I finish this leg of my journey.  I have decided I do not want a funeral or any kind of memorial.  I do not want to be associated with death in your minds.  I am not dying but simply in a transition process to the next stage of my life on a higher realm.  I am on a path that leads to my Ascension.  I am learning that to truly live one must go through the corridor of death and that death is not an end but merely a passageway to a higher existence.  Rather than mourning I ask that you would celebrate my Ascension.

I thank you all for the part you have played in my life and making me who I am today.  You have each touched me in different ways and I love and appreciate you for it.  Thank you all for the caring, kindness, and support you’ve so generously given me along the way.

In lieu of flowers my family has set up a fund for my remaining medical expenses and charitable interests at the Industrial Credit Union (account #59185).

Much Love,
Krista


I know, right?  I've read it three times and it still breaks my heart.  I can only hope that when my time comes, I can be one-fifth as gracious & strong as Krista.

So poppets, send a shout-out to whomever/whatever you believe for the ever-so-lovely Miss Krista.  The world is losing one great human being.  

2 comments:

creative kerfuffle said...

i don't even have words. i've lost people like that in life and it's never a good thing. however, i try to think that they are at least no longer battling disease and are certainly in a better place. she sounds like a wonderful person.

Wendy B. said...

I just remember her being sooo incredibly sweet, so beautiful and such a blessing to the children. What a loss...but no surprise that she is leaving us with grace and wisdom. Godspeed Krista <3