29 April 2012

Everything is Different

Bff K has mentioned how strange it must be to have my life come full stop. It is indeed strange.

Nothing is the same. Not one single thing.

I have the same husband but he's the caretaker now.

I sleep in the same bed but only in a carefully arranged fashion with a row of meds on the bedstand and a walker nearby.

I'm unemployed, though I check in daily. I can't even write (well) right now.

I'm literally housebound. I can't drive...I can't even get *into* my truck. There are stairs outside that I can manage to go down but not UP.

I did figure out how to bathe myself.  I have a senior citizen bathroom with a tub bench and handheld shower wand.

I also had to re-pottytrain myself. Think about it: no weight bearing whatsoever on one foot. *fun*

HOWEVER

They found an antibiotic that I don't react to.

I don't have to cook.

I have enough track pants to wear, which is good because it will be months before I see jeans or wear both shoes.

My interior design ethic has changed to a minimalist style. No throw rugs or extra stuff that can be knocked over or tripped upon.

I've gotten the wished upon vacation time. So we fall back onto the adage of Be Careful What You Wish For.

I've had great care packages, cards, emails, posts, calls and visits.

I have my Droid that enables me to keep in contact with the world, including writing this while laying in bed.

Anytime that I get my woe-is-me on, I remind myself that our friend J, who is my age, is in a wheelchair since he was nineteen. He never complains and is always in a good mood.

So I tell myself "Suck it up, Buttercup. J does this every day."

2 comments:

Daydream Believer said...

Ack! I've been out of the loop for too long! I am so sorry you've broken bones! Ouch! Here's to a speedy recovery!

Graciewilde said...

This is so familiar. A couple of years ago, I was riding my bike on the Friday afternoon before the new school year started. I was hit by a truck and broke nine bones. My life came to a complete stop. First time ever. I learned so much. I learned how many people cared about me. I learned how to stop completely. I learned the power of percocet. I found out how much I missed any kind of physical activity. I found out how good it was to simply lay on the couch and look out the window and watch the month of September drift by. Actually, I am glad the accident happened. Interesting how things happen for a reason.