17 September 2017

Watching and Listening

I've been celebrating my new job with a summer cold.  I've had laryngitis for two weeks with a very unattractive cough. Before that, I was figuring out a new job, a newish city, and working on a writing project I had abandoned.  Then...bam...cold.  Super.

So, I'm calling this post in. 

What I'm watching/reading/listening to right now...

I'm on the third viewing of Gilmore Girls.  I'm to the awful part where Luke has a daughter and Christopher has reappeared.  I've noticed that Rory's charm has worn off by the third viewing.  Mrs. Gilmore triggers me SO HARD  that I fast forward through her scenes.

The Bold Type.  OMG, so good.  I expected it to be vapid but it's actually very real. It's funny without being crass.  It gives an older person like me a good glimpse of what it's like to be a young adult in the social media world and just the world in general.  It lets me understand my nieces who are that age a little more.

The Property Brothers Buying and Selling.  I'm a shoe-in for a good design show. 

Car Spotting is a boy show but it is based in my home county and features one of the racers we know!

I swore I would never watch Nashville because I'm so not, not, not a Connie Britton fan.  She bothers me on a level I don't understand.  She must be like someone in my life or heaven forbid, remind me of myself. (thanks Confuscius)  Anyway, here I am binge-watching it after work on Thursdays and Fridays and downloading songs onto my phone.

The Oroville is fantastic if you grew up in the eighties.  It feels like watching Battlestar Gallatica.  I love the little sci-fi nods and subtle jokes. With Seth MacFarlane you never know. It can be brilliant or go sideways.  I think there's still potential for that but I loved what I've seen so far.

Game of Thrones is a favorite too.  I'm the nerd that reads the recaps right afterward so I understand everything that happened.  Now the long wait is happening.

Before I sound too smart, we've been enjoying Bachelor in Paradise.  I swear it's a case study in Human Psychology.  Also, it wouldn't be as fun to watch if Kevin wasn't yelling at the television with me.

 I love Ross Mathews Podcast, Straight Talk with Ross.  It can get a little raw sometimes and if you're not comfortable with overt gayness, it's not for you.  But I enjoy it so much. It's like listening to your best friends talk.   The fact that he is a local boy and occasionally talks about his home town just makes it more fun.

The West Wing Weekly podcast.  This sounds boring but I swear it's not.  It's a recap and discussion show of the show The West Wing with Josh Malina.  I can get lost in this podcast.

Chris Hardwick's Nerdist Podcast.  The Neil DeGrasse Tyson one that just happened kicked my ass.

Manic Rambling Spiral.  If you read Dooce, then you would probably enjoy this.  They do veer into parenting which doesn't apply to me but I can see where it would be good for others.

 Craig Ferguson on Sirius Faction Channel.  I confess I listen to his interviews only.  I think he's finding his feet when it comes to doing a radio show/podcast.

I've been trying to read on my lunch break.  I just finished a really old Nora Roberts book that I found buried on my bookshelf.  Now I'm reading Sarah Addison Allen First Frost.  Both very good but the Nora Roberts one was so old, it was a little dated. 

I'm paring down my magazines again.  I know, I say this often but for real.  I used to take my old magazines into work but that's not an option now.  Also, do I really need to get all.the.magazines?  Yeah, probably but not right now.

It feels like we're all looking for Happy Twitter versus The World is Ending Twitter. May I suggest: @colorschemz is entertaining in an odd, I feel a little high kind of way.
@obamapluskids  President Obama photographed with kids.  That.is.all.
@rumiquotes sometimes makes me think.
Patton Oswalt and Meredith Salenger and Wil Wheaton and his wife Anne because they both tweet at each other often.  I love when famous people are friends on Twitter and interact.
I follow a few authors but enjoy the YA author Sarah Dessen the most.  


No comments: