23 March 2018

They Make Paint Everyday

I love watching home reno shows.  My favorites are Fixer Upper, Property Brothers, and Main Cabin Masters.  Flip or Flop Atlanta and Nashville are contenders as well. However, I can't even with the househunter shows.

I'm not a fan of  the Tiny House movement, even though our house is smaller than most.  When I look at those tiny homes, all I can think of is that it is great if nothing ever goes wrong; because no one ever ages or gets sick or injured.

But here's some things that flip my switch (see what I did there?)

I'm not a cooker so kitchens are not important to me.  I can understand the want for the chef's kitchen but I think living space is more important.  So many times I see kitchens that are just fine but these people are all "Eeew, gross."

And really, everything is cyclical.  What is cool now isn't going to be cool in a few years.  So I'm always a little skeptical when people say the kitchen needs updating.  I mean sometimes just a coat of paint and new appliances will do the trick.

"Room for my shoes"  Cue: eyeroll.  This supersedes "I need my glamour closet" by fractions. You need bigger problems if that is a priority.

I don't understand the "Kids need a playroom."  When I was growing up that was called my bedroom.

I laugh every time I see people moving out to the country because they want a big yard.  Rarely do they look like folks who can handle a riding lawn mower, trimming trees, and other tasks that are required by large yards.  I just think to myself: budget for a landscaper.

Now let's talk about a phrase I could live the remainder of my life hearing again: Open Concept.  Anyone who doesn't have it and want it needs to listen to me, because Imagine:
watching television while someone is in the kitchen banging pots, washing dishes, etc.
Or when you make a particular pungent meal that now permeates the entire house.
Or being able to see that you didn't do the dishes from most vantages in your house.
Imagine having your phone conversation being heard through the majority of your home.
Or as someone on one of those shows pointed out: "I can't be naked in my own home because you can see everywhere."  You laugh but now think of all the times you left something in the dryer that you needed when you are getting dressed.

I agree that open concept looks nice and can be appealing. Our small cottage home is low key open concept with the kitchen and living room so this is how I know of which I speak. But open concept can mean no privacy also.

Garage conversion.  I will clutch my pearls when I see people turn the garage into something else.  We're back to the "You aren't going to be young forever" idea. And where is their storage going to be?

Now to the title of this bloggity post.  I want to yell at people who see a house or a room and state "Oh, it's...blue."  OFFS, they make paint every day. 

I know that the design of the show (again, see what I did there?) is to find folks the perfect home but in reality, there isn't the perfect home. Every house is going to take work to make it into a home. 

To me most of the fun is that work.  We've only been in this house twelve years and it looks very different than when we began.  That's the fun of it.

And guess what this summer's project is?  PAINTING.  So point me to this post when I'm complaining.


2 comments:

Swistle said...

Oh, it drives me soooooo crazy when they say things like, "This bathroom is sooooo dated"---and it's, like, five years out of date. I also get so tired of people wanting room to entertain. Oh! And I hate when they have a budget of, say, $500,000, and they find a house for $400,000, so they immediately use up the entire extra $100,000 on unnecessary changes, as if the maximum total they can spend is the mandatory amount they MUST spend. They could just NOT spend that amount! Yay, we found a house under our budget!

Gigi said...

Yes! My husband and I just had a similar conversation regarding "the perfect home" - sure, if you have unlimited funds you could build one...but odds are once you move in you will discover that "something" just doesn't work.