13 September 2011

Comfort

I have few warm & fuzzy memories of my childhood.  I know that I make some people sigh or cringe when I say that but know that when I say it, it's very matter-of-fact.  I can't change my past so I try not to waste my time in it.

Tonight struck me though.  Kevin isn't home yet and it's getting darker earlier.  I was home in a quiet house.
I flipped through the channels and there wasn't anything I was interested in watching. Looking for company via noise,  I finally landed on Wheel of Fortune of all things.  The sounds of this game show comfort me in the strangest way.

I can picture my childhood home and nearly smell dinner cooking.  Dark outside, windows wet with condensation, and the smell of navy bean soup filling our tiny home. I could also hear the theme song of Bewitched or I Dream of Jeannie as I had a television in my room.  (rescued & repaired from the dump Sanford & Son style. Seriously) Also, (cringe moment ahead) we weren't allowed in the living room until dinner after my father arrived home so he could "relax".

 I decided on noodles for dinner; mixed with butter, pepper, and garlic.  Most definitely comfort food.  35 years dimmed this evening.  I feel like I should go finish my homework.  Oh wait, I am: by writing this post.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.


2 comments:

Swistle said...

I love this kind of story: some sweet, some sad, some memories, some reflection/introspection.

creative kerfuffle said...

times were different then. you watched what dad wanted to watch. so..i grew up watching star trek and soul train (hard to believe his racisism would allow him to do such a thing) but he would let us watch little house when it was on--and make fun of us for crying.