09 September 2011

Dear Abby...

So, I have recently met someone who doesn't have the same values as I do. That sounds holier-than-thou but it's the only way I can think to describe it.

Firstly, she's a man-hater.  It's been years since I've ran into one of those.  Mostly, I think, because I'm a grownup in my forties.  She seems to automatically assume that men are jerks and dumb.  I know that I am only going to be able to tolerate this for so long before Making A Statement.   I've been with Kevin for 21 years, I have two brothers and six nephews, and I live in Boy World.  I resent the blanket assumption and unnecessary mean-ness.

Secondly, when someone asks if I need something I will invariably say "Puppy, chocolate, coffee, alcohol, and a cute boy."  Today she told me that I needed to add money to my list.  I was momentarily speechless. (I know, right?!)  I thought about it for a split second and said "No..."  She looked at me like I'd lapsed into speaking Mandarin. I continued: "Money is not that important to me.  It wouldn't occur to me to ask for it."

So, that's awkward.

Finally, her currency is food.  Snacks, ice cream, lunch.  I'm not a big food person (okay, I'm picky and perhaps have some food issues. whatever)  She constantly offers snacks...chocolate a lot, almonds, etc.  I feel awkward turning her down until today when I just said "You know, I just don't snack much."  I am hoping that will stop the offers.

This is a person that I will know for a while and isn't to be avoided.  I'm going to need to concentrate on how to deal with her because her way of life is completely opposite of mine.  It's going to be a challenge, I fear.
Not to say that everyone has to think like me because they don't.  I can even find common ground with Republicans and atheists for goodness sake.  This is just not a personality, if you will, that I am familiar with.

How would you handle this, dear poppets?

2 comments:

Melina said...

Well, if it's any help, you can always just collect the almonds and chocolate and send them over to me! Otherwise, remain relaxed at all times and play the ignore/bounce off strategy that one might use with a child. "You want to become a princess and live at the aquarium? THat's nice dear."
-Melina from The Wilder Coast

creative kerfuffle said...

just be yourself. you can be friendly and do what you're doing...maybe you'll rub off on her : )