17 September 2017

Work, Work, Work

(sorry, not sorry for the Rhianna earworm)

I've been working at the new job for over a month now.  Yikes!  Where does time go?

I have very mixed feelings about being in my old hometown.

It's changed quite a bit so there's a learning curve of how to drive here.  Roads that didn't used to be there, businesses that have moved or closed, and just growth in general.

As I mentioned, it's not even a little bit as picturesque as my old city.  I've been purposefully seeking out opportunities to notice beauty.  And not so much.  Maybe once I begin traveling for my job I'll have more opportunities.

My commute has possibilities.  Once the freeway breaks out of the mountain pass and lowers into the Valley, there are farm fields, Cascade mountains to the East, the largest American flag on the West Coast, and on pretty days a glimpse of the Olympic Mountains. But taking photos on the freeway is impossible so therein lies my frustration.

To get to my work, you have to cross the Skagit River.  I've yet to get a good photo because there is always  traffic.  Some of you may remember that the I-5 bridge over this river was knocked down a few years ago.  I think about that every time I cross it.

Almost thirty years ago this was the town that I essentially fled from my former husband.  Kevin and I moved to where we live now and never looked back.  I began working in another city and other than family visits and shopping, we really didn't spend a lot of time there. 

Now I'm there every day.  I find myself being a little vigilant, which I hope and assume will fade.  There have been a few "Oh, that happened there." moments which have been good and bad. 

The job is fine.  The people are nice.  The tasks are easy for me.  Right now, I'm just Meh.  Kevin says I'm looking for reasons to not like it so I'm trying to stay open to the adventure. 

But it does feel weird being back.  I get why novelist so often feature their protaganist returning home.


No comments: