13 March 2006

The Joy of Cell

I used to think cell phones were pretentious. In the early days of cell phones, only the well-to-do and important people had cell phones. It was also about image. Now, everyone – including children – have them. They have become a basic need.
One wonders what we did before them. I’ll tell you what we did…we forgot milk, we missed appointments, we didn’t talk to our spouses, friends or family nearly as much.

Now cell phones are a lifeline. I can’t imagine being without it and I am not even that obsessive about it as some people. (*ahem* the mad genius *cough* ) Now, a person doesn’t leave the house without one. I will turn around and get it if I have forgotten and, Oh My God, the panic that ensues if we misplace our phones.

But it truly has become my lifeline. If I have a bad day, my husband or friends are a button push away. If I miss my mom, I can call her even though I am shopping or driving. I have a long-ish, rural commute, which involves a mountain pass. Now I don’t even think twice about my drive. It used to be I would call the Mad Genius before I left to let him know I was coming so he would know if something happened. Now I call him to see if he wants take-out for dinner…which I can call and order with my cell phone.

I do think the cell phone is one of the best inventions in history. I know they are annoying sometimes and it is important to “unplug” once in awhile. But I truly think I would have withdrawals without it. I think my marriage would be different without it.

And I haven’t even mentioned Texting! It is a whole other language and communication system. It is a conversation without the commitment. This is a wonderful thing as well.
My husband and I use it usually when we want to communicate but it is not “important” enough for an actual call. I have one text (in jest) that I’ve saved that says “F&*#ing HELLO!?!?!?!?” from the Mad Genius after I failed to answer any of my missed calls on a busy day. It just makes me giggle.
And it would only make me giggle. If someone found or borrowed my phone, they would probably be horrified.

Cell phones have also become our Little Black Books. I have numbers saved on there that although benign, Randy has no idea who they are; as I am sure, he does too. The movie “Little Black Book” addresses that (pun intended, btw) issue in a very clear way. How many affairs have been discovered by a “snooping” spouse who has found texts or numbers? Another good use of cell phones, by the way.

So, as evil as they can be…they’re here and I’m glad of it. They're a New-Age communication tool. They're a life-saver, literally. They're convenient. They're a babysitter. (not in a Jude Law sort of way...or maybe?)

Ahhh, the joy of Cell.

No comments: