01 April 2006

Divison of Labor

I was thinking about Division of Labor. No, not the government agency but the diplomatic agency that resides within every relationship.

In my relationship, it is very clear: inside chores = me, outside chores = Mad Genius.

On some of my more pouty days, when I find myself endlessly vacuuming or scrubbing the bathroom, I wonder to myself if the Division of Labor is fair. Then I look out the window at MG working outside in the pouring down rain and think "F#$% that. I'd rather be dry and scrubbing toilets than in the rain and miserable."

A good example is yesterday morning. It is 6:00 a.m. and MG is on a rickety ladder, cleaning a clogged gutter in the pouring rain. Nope, I will stay inside and make the bed, thanks!

Perhaps in the grand scheme of things, I have more and consistent chores. He does have it fairly easy in the winter months - unless of course the gutter clogs - where I don't have any time off. BUT, if something goes wrong, say a tree falls down & blocks the driveway or a fence needs building, it's all him.

It is also about what we like to do. He enjoys being outside, me not so much. Gardening, yeah hate it. There are bugs out there. Oh wait, there's movie on Lifetime coming on...
On the flip side, for someone that can run heavy equipment, he is terrified of the washer & dryer. I think he jus bought new clothes instead of washing them before me. Also, I never have to worry if my car is going to start or if I need oil or new tires. He never has to worry if there is toilet paper or clean socks.

Anytime that he is stuck inside for any period; I am also reminded how nice it is to have the house to clean. I can crank the radio and just go at it. If he is here, he’s watching something horrifying on the television and asking me what I’m doing. There’s a certain peace & satisfaction in housecleaning. It usually has a beginning and an end. His work is never done, it seems.

I watch, sometimes wistfully, couples grocery shop together and I think to myself "That would be so nice" then I remember what it’s like to take him shopping. It entails skidding the cart around the corners…complete with sound effects, bringing home Captain Crunch cereal and ice cream and at least two "Are we almost done?"
Then the wistfulness passes quickly enough.

My point, I do have one, is that I think each couple works it out individually. I don’t think there is any one grand plan. I think there are too many variables to consider. Who works the longest? The hardest? Who is home more? Who is better at it?

And it changes. My parents are in their 70’s. Now my dad goes grocery shopping while mom stays home. My dad gasses up her car. It’s all changed.

So, I suppose a little resentment is probably human nature. Now I have to go change the sheets while MG is outside, in the rain of course, doing something I’d rather not do. God bless him!

No comments: