27 April 2006

Siriusly

When I gave Sirius Satellite Radio to the Mad Genius for Christmas, I was extremely skeptical. I wondered how long it would be used or if it was worth paying for radio – something that is available for free. I was really questioning it when we went to the store on December 26th to buy the home receiver too.

But then, define “free”. If I were to put a price on time spent surfing through channels because it’s on the hour or half-hour and there’s nothing but ten minutes of commercials on every single frickin’ station, then I can see ponying up the $12 monthly. It’s cheaper than anger management classes or a road rage ticket! Or put a price on the times that a person swerves around trying to find the damn CD that has slid across the car.

I wondered how one would hear the news or traffic and if one would feel disconnected.
This was also a ploy from Terrestrial Radio to listeners to not buy satellite radio. Well, they had already thought of that. Sirius and T.R. are interactive. It’s not different than channel surfing, which we’re doing anyway.

And oh, have I mentioned the wonder of no commercials! The only time there isn’t music is if they’re interviewing an artist, which can be equally interesting and equally disappointing. I haven't decided if it's a good thing or not.

Every once in a while, I get to drive the Mad Genius’ truck and get to listen to the “radio.”
Oh, the wonder of all 80’s all the time! Or any generation of music, that strikes my fancy for that matter. There is even an Elvis Channel! The wonder of hearing the original MTV Veejays! At times I have to check myself to make sure I’m not driving an old beat up LUV truck with blue shag carpeting and a rocking stereo.

We also have Sirius on our satellite television. It’s perfect for mood music for a party, or house cleaning or for, um….anything else that you would like to have music playing in the background.
I didn't fully appreciate this feature until the Mad Genius got it.

Now I’m trying to justify installing Sirius in the POS Honda Car. The first problem is that the receiver etc. is probably worth more than the actual car.
The second problem is not wanting to get out of the car because there is always a good song playing!

Oh, it’s only $12.00…what the hell.

No comments: